Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt Cheever

Default Bowls On the Loose!!!

I've been turning some large bowls from green wood. The wood was cut late
last year.

So far 3 out of three have jumped off the lathe shortly after I pulled the
tailstock away so that I could start hollowing.

I'm using glued on waste blocks screwed to the faceplate, and the cause is
obvious--the glue ain't dry.

The wood feels dry to the touch, the waste block is dry oak, and I'm using
Tite-Bond II for glue. After the first AWOL bowl, I started waiting 2 days
after gluing before I put them on the lathe, but have the same problem. I
use glue generously, but there is not much squeeze out when I put the clamps
on it, so I don't think that's the problem. When the joint comes apart, the
glue is still damp to the touch, but not liquid. Of course the poor paper
separator is mush. I'm surprised that the joint stayed tight as long as it
did.

My first solution is to go to Polyethylene (Gorilla) glue. Since it likes
water to cure, should do the trick. Has anyone done this who can give me
the benefit of their experience?

Are there other ideas that could help?

The good part is that I've learned how bowls blow off the lathe, and where
to stand to avoid them.

Thanks.

Walt C