Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

Default Vacuum Pump

Is this pump be suitable for a vacuum chuck? I need the answers pretty
quick.

GAST ROTARY VANE VACUUM PUMP. Model # 0523-504Q-G18DX. Motor is 1/4 HP,115
Volt. Pump- 26" HG MAX.VAC.,4.5 CFM.Open Flow 10 PSI max pressure.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Is this pump be suitable for a vacuum chuck? I need the answers pretty quick.

GAST ROTARY VANE VACUUM PUMP. Model # 0523-504Q-G18DX. Motor is 1/4 HP,115
Volt. Pump- 26" HG MAX.VAC.,4.5 CFM.Open Flow 10 PSI max pressure.

I don't vacuum chuck on the lathe, but I've vacuum chucked on the mill. I own
about a half dozen vacuum pumps of all types. That is a good unit. Oiless,
pulls about 90% vacuum, 4.5 cfm (which is decent and important, it means the
pump can keep up with small leaks). Use the filter, it will keep dust out of
the vanes.

Specs at: http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/rotvane/23_series.pdf

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

you can check the specs on the GAST site, but that should be adequate
except for very porous or leaky material. Be sure (note, this is
really really important) to have a good (repeat GOOD) filter on the
input - suggest a dust/moisture filter in series with the filter built
into the pump.

if you don't already have it, the article I put together on vac
chucking could be helpful - in the tips section of www.woodturners.org
or in the vac pumps section of my web site, www.wbnoble.com

bill

On Tue, 02 May 2006 05:57:55 GMT, "Tom Storey"
wrote:

Is this pump be suitable for a vacuum chuck? I need the answers pretty
quick.

GAST ROTARY VANE VACUUM PUMP. Model # 0523-504Q-G18DX. Motor is 1/4 HP,115
Volt. Pump- 26" HG MAX.VAC.,4.5 CFM.Open Flow 10 PSI max pressure.

Thanks!

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com