Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default RW 90

I was just down getting my old CBN grinding wheel dressed, and ordering
another one, and bought my gouge down to show them what I grind, and
how. The guy there mentioned electroplating the flute on the gouge with
a product they call RW 90. He said that it is a hard crome and diamond
material that adds life to wood cutting surfaces and helps keep wood,
pitch, etc. from sticking to the blades. Has anyone heard of this? He
said that it is used a lot on planers and moulders in the lumber
industry around here (Oregon). Cost of application would be around
$1.25 per inch.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
steamer

--RW90 is probably a reference to the "Rockwell hardness", which is
a standard scale. Applying it is probably done via some electronic
sputtering process; not sure if it needs to be done in a vacuum; that would
definitely bump up the price. For more on this you might try posting at
rec.crafts.metalworking (watch out for the jerks!) and possibly at
sci.engr.joining.welding, where the jerk ratio is tolerable.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Concave, convex, con
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : carne: all is Zen..
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just down getting my old CBN grinding wheel dressed, and ordering
another one, and bought my gouge down to show them what I grind, and
how. The guy there mentioned electroplating the flute on the gouge with
a product they call RW 90. He said that it is a hard crome and diamond
material that adds life to wood cutting surfaces and helps keep wood,
pitch, etc. from sticking to the blades. Has anyone heard of this? He
said that it is used a lot on planers and moulders in the lumber
industry around here (Oregon). Cost of application would be around
$1.25 per inch.
robo hippy

Sounds like a good deal, which I guess is why I'm suspicious. First, won't
keep the resin from sticking where it counts - the ground part of the bevel,
where friction makes the heat, and second, unless the stuff is not plating,
it will only flake off the inside of the edge after grinding or disappear
with honing.

I'd save my bucks and assume he's talking about benefit to some other kind
of tooling.

Didn't someone briefly market a TiN coated gouge a few years back?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alan

Robert Sorby Gold Series. Claimed to have several times longer edge
life.
Alan

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:51:43 -0500, "George" George@least wrote:

roups.com...