Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default Source of detail pictures and research on wood grain

Thought this might be of interest to a number of you. The link
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/commun.../figureinwood/
has at the top of the first page a Table of Contents. At the bottom of that
is either a PDF or WORD format compilation of all the pictures that the
article refers to.

This can help predict what the result will be in some of the wood we use and
how certain cuts/sections will give different kinds of grain patterns
depending on how we orientate the design.

This link might help in choosing or identifying wood.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Came across this info courtesy of some of the helpful folks on the World of
Woodturners site and thought sharing it might help others.

TomNie

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article , "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Thought this might be of interest to a number of you. The link
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/commun.../figureinwood/
has at the top of the first page a Table of Contents. At the bottom of that
is either a PDF or WORD format compilation of all the pictures that the
article refers to.

This can help predict what the result will be in some of the wood we use and
how certain cuts/sections will give different kinds of grain patterns
depending on how we orientate the design.

This link might help in choosing or identifying wood.
http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Came across this info courtesy of some of the helpful folks on the World of
Woodturners site and thought sharing it might help others.

My guess is someone there reads other forums. Since I don't read that
one, and Weds someone (a grad of Auburn) posted the first and I posted
the other. Right now I don't recall for certain, but I think it was the
AAW forum, but it might have been WoodNet
The real neat part of HobbitHouseInc, is the work he is doing to
expose eBay sellers that "color modify" their photos

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
ebd

Tom,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great info. I will use it
extensively, both in deciding how to slice up raw wood into blanks and
in evaluating exotic blanks that I might purchase. Very helpful.

Larry

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article %EoQf.7737$CI6.6920@trnddc07,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Hi Ralph,

What's this about?

He shows, where certain eBay sellers of (mostly) tropical hardwoods
"photoshop" their woods to "enhance" the color, beyond what the wood
really looks like.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Hi Ralph,

What's this about?

He shows, where certain eBay sellers of (mostly) tropical hardwoods
"photoshop" their woods to "enhance" the color, beyond what the wood
really looks like.

Good! Where does he publish this stuff? Somebody needs to keep the
rascals honest.

Recent example: There is a guy selling tools on e-bay right now who
Claims to be getting out of woodworking after xx years and selling his
entire collection. While looking at his feedback, I thought 'wonder what
he is buying?'. You guessed it, he's buying Tools.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article HbJQf.12304$wH5.5118@trnddc02,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Good! Where does he publish this stuff? Somebody needs to keep the
rascals honest.

It was on that web-site (Hobbit House Inc), now mind you the last 3x I
tried to access the site it was down. But I just checked and it's back
so see... http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...comparison.htm

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom:

Don't know how I missed this gem when you posted
it back in march but THANK YOU! Some of the
information is contained in other sources but is
scattered all over the place. This single source
consolidates that info and has so much more.

Very useful information and much appreciated.

Would it be ok with you if I shared this over in
rec.woodworking and with the guy who does
Silicone Valley Woodturners news letter? I'd
also like to put the link on my non-commercial,
personal woodworking site, with acknowledgement
of you as the "sharer". Would that be ok with you?

charlie b