Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast

Default Silly post regarding unexpected wood aromas

We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. Grew up in Wisconsin, and when I am
turning Sycamore it triggers childhood memories of playing in the silo.
I assume the sap could be fermenting ( like silage does), but it seems
as if I remember the same odor when the tree was first cut down, as
well.

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

-j
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

And if it hasn't already been said...

Zebra wood smells like the droppings on the floor of a zebra's stall.

Bill

Chuck wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:14:33 -0500, JoanD'arcRoast
wrote:

We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. Grew up in Wisconsin, and when I am
turning Sycamore it triggers childhood memories of playing in the silo.
I assume the sap could be fermenting ( like silage does), but it seems
as if I remember the same odor when the tree was first cut down, as
well.

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

--Canarywood and bloodwood both smell distinctly sweet and fruitlike
--Olive smells just delicious
--African Pear smells _exactly_ like a horse stall.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

My favorite is chinkapin (golden chesnut) one of our Northwest Natives.
It is similar to pencil cedar, but nicer. The shop smells wonderful for
a week or so after I turn it. Myrtle can smell sweet or like a horse
stall. Cotton wood smells like someone threw up (I read that it is used
in horse stalls because the horses won't chew on it). Elm smells like
cat spray. Fresh cherry smells like cherries.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I remember the smell of oak in the local sawmill when I grew up
Holland, native oaks are all in the white oak group, and it was a
pleasant smell, also the smell of ash in the wheelwrights shop across
the street, then the time I was turning a piece of wood that smelled
like I was shaking cinnamon out, don't know what wood it was, as what
happened another time when I had turned a chunk of wood from my buddy's
sawmill, it smelled so bad, and at first I didn't realize it, but I was
sure that I had stepped in some cats~&*t, stopped the lathe and looked
my boots all over then started examining the shavings when it hit me,
it was the wood, never have had any wood that smelled that bad, before
or after, it was tropical but again the name of the species I don't
recall if I ever knew.
The catalpa wood smells like paint thinner, and black cherry like
almonds, I don't like the smell of Manitoba maple or American elm but I
find the smell of Siberian elm not as bad, common Juniper is nice and
lingers for a while even when the wood is dry, where most other woods
loose their smell, luckily.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum22.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal

Fresh black birch = wintergreen (aka checkerberry). I'm told that before
the synthetic stuff took over, most "oil of wintergreen" was made from
black birch twigs, as the oil is identical, and the birch twigs are a
bit easier to harvest enough of to get commercial quantities.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

wrote:

We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. Grew up in Wisconsin, and when I am
turning Sycamore it triggers childhood memories of playing in the silo.
I assume the sap could be fermenting ( like silage does), but it seems
as if I remember the same odor when the tree was first cut down, as
well.

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

-j

comment: you're the first person that I've come across that LIKES the smell of
silage.. *lol

addition: about the only good thing about turning pine, (or sawing it) is it
brings back a lot of childhood memories of my dad's work, both in his sign shop
and at home..
He "paneled" the walls of 3 rooms with 12 x 3/4" T&G knotty pine and I'll never
forget the smell of that being cut..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

There is a chinkapin oak, and a golden chesnut. They are 2 different
trees. The chinkapin here does have edible nuts (see Joy of Cooking).
They are a hardwood, but don't shed their leaves in the fall. They are
not oaks.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek Hartzell

Sweet Cherry wood smells like imitation cherry flavor to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast

wrote:

We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. Grew up in Wisconsin, and when I am
turning Sycamore it triggers childhood memories of playing in the silo.
I assume the sap could be fermenting ( like silage does), but it seems
as if I remember the same odor when the tree was first cut down, as
well.

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

-j

comment: you're the first person that I've come across that LIKES the smell of
silage.. *lol

snip
Yeah, I confess I like the smell of silage... probably because I don't
have to break my back forking it through the ladder door...

I forgot to mention the Flowering Cherry (no fruit, just big pink
double flowers) I turned late last spring! Neighbor trimmed some big
dead limbs, and I made bowls. Smelled like warm Peach Cobbler! I work
outside year round, and even the flies were fooled! The damn houseflies
were swarming me and the lathe. It was hilarious to watch them try to
light on the spinning workpiece! LOL!

-j

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle

"George" George@least wrote in message

Lest we forget, there was a time when the medical establishment touted the
fumes from a stable as healthy....

I seem to recall that in my misspent youth I spent a lot of time with fork
and shovel cleaning out stalls. Usually ended up getting the giggles with
work mates so there must be something in the "mixture" that caused it. They
say laughter is the best medicine.

I like the smell of silage too although these days it kicks up my allergies
so don't enjoy it much anymore. And I've found there are better places to
hang around than stables that need cleaning.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Al Kyder

Bocote always reminds me of pickles.
Honey Locust smells like whiskey.
Apple smells like tobacco.

God Bless,
Al Kyder

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave Balderstone

In article .com, Al
Kyder wrote:

Bocote always reminds me of pickles.
Honey Locust smells like whiskey.
Apple smells like tobacco.

Elm reminds me of a mild blue cheese...

--
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Len

Yes there is an oak which name is almost Chinkapin namely, Chinquapin
and also called yellow chestnut oak, the latin name "Quercus
muehlenbergii", and there is also a dwarf Chiquapin oak,
"Quercus prinoides".

However the Chinkapin, Florida, Ozark and Allegheny Chinkapins, are in
the chestnut group, "Castanea", like the American chestnut, "Castanea
dentata".

And not related to the horsechestnut, like the Ohio buckeye, or the
yellow or red buckeye, "Aesculus pavia" etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. ...

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

Sassafrass smells like root beer--not a coincidence.

I resawed some green cedar of some sort, possibly the ornamental
commonly called arborvidae (sp?) . It was alread cut into firewood
sized lenghts before I got it. I've never been tear gassed but I think
I know what it would be like now!

--

FF