Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast

Default Silly post regarding unexpected wood aromas

We all know Cedar smells like Cedar. Red Oak smells like wet dogs to
some noses.

What about unexpected aromas?

Green Sycamore smells like silage. Grew up in Wisconsin, and when I am
turning Sycamore it triggers childhood memories of playing in the silo.
I assume the sap could be fermenting ( like silage does), but it seems
as if I remember the same odor when the tree was first cut down, as
well.

Southern Magnolia smells like mineral spirits; not turpentine like
Pine. Even the little decorative Japanese Magnolia has that nice clean
spirits smell to me.

Comments? Additions?

-j