Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Top Grind Pepper Mill Mechanisms

I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

So far, all I've found is the standard LV/Rockler/Woodcraft design,
Peugeot seems to have stopped selling just the mechs entirely.
Has anyone got a source for a variety of good quality mill mechs?

Did a web search and plodded through a million sites selling completed
pepper mills, but no mechs other than the ones listed above.

Thanks,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Webber

http://crushgrind.com/ High quality ceramic mechanisms that can be used that
way up. Crushgrind do not sell mechanisms to crafters direct.

In US, now available in small quantities - see http://crushgrind.com/?id=421

In UK, I have some mechanisms from bankrupt stock stock (remove ".invalid"
from e-mail address to contact me direct or see http://andywebber.com/) and
you can also try Brian K. Fitzsimmons at http://www.peppergrinders.co.uk/.

Cheers
Andy

Greg G. wrote:
I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

So far, all I've found is the standard LV/Rockler/Woodcraft design,
Peugeot seems to have stopped selling just the mechs entirely.
Has anyone got a source for a variety of good quality mill mechs?

Did a web search and plodded through a million sites selling completed
pepper mills, but no mechs other than the ones listed above.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

J. R. Beal has a pepper grinding mechanism which is a pretty new product
for him. Does somebody know how to get to his web site?

Bill

Greg G. wrote:

I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

So far, all I've found is the standard LV/Rockler/Woodcraft design,
Peugeot seems to have stopped selling just the mechs entirely.
Has anyone got a source for a variety of good quality mill mechs?

Did a web search and plodded through a million sites selling completed
pepper mills, but no mechs other than the ones listed above.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Andy Webber said:

http://crushgrind.com/ High quality ceramic mechanisms that can be used that
way up. Crushgrind do not sell mechanisms to crafters direct.

In US, now available in small quantities - see http://crushgrind.com/?id=421

In UK, I have some mechanisms from bankrupt stock stock (remove ".invalid"
from e-mail address to contact me direct or see http://andywebber.com/) and
you can also try Brian K. Fitzsimmons at http://www.peppergrinders.co.uk/.

Thanks, Andy.

Crushgrind mechs look interesting, and are apparently available at:

http://www.allthingspepper.com

or more specifically,

http://www.allthingspepper.com/ATPNe...mechanisms.php

Since I am in the US, shipping from the UK would be problematic.

Greg G. wrote:
I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

So far, all I've found is the standard LV/Rockler/Woodcraft design,
Peugeot seems to have stopped selling just the mechs entirely.
Has anyone got a source for a variety of good quality mill mechs?

Did a web search and plodded through a million sites selling completed
pepper mills, but no mechs other than the ones listed above.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:35:29 -0500, Greg wrote:

I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

So far, all I've found is the standard LV/Rockler/Woodcraft design,
Peugeot seems to have stopped selling just the mechs entirely.
Has anyone got a source for a variety of good quality mill mechs?

Did a web search and plodded through a million sites selling completed
pepper mills, but no mechs other than the ones listed above.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Greg.. these have worked well for me.. (never turned one but have ordered parts
for friends)

https://chefspecialties.com/catalog/...3d63c44adbdc5a

or, if that's too long:
http://tinyurl.com/9dk4d

Mac

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Stephen M

Greg.. these have worked well for me.. (never turned one but have ordered
parts
for friends)

https://chefspecialties.com/catalog/...3d63c44adbdc5a

or, if that's too long:
http://tinyurl.com/9dk4d

I have used the chef's specialties and was not particularly impressed. I
found that they worked adequately but were nothing exceptional. I'm fairly
certain that the CS units are the same sold by LV because LV states that
they are from "the oldest pepper mill manufacturers in the USA" and CS' site
says that they are the oldest......

I was recently over for dinner at a friends house and used his Peugeot Mill
and *that's* what I really want. (very smooth, agressive, high-output).

If someone can point me to a mechanism (top or bottom grind) with truly
exceptional performance, I would be more than willing to pay for that
quality.

-Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

In article ,
Greg wrote:

Andy Webber said:

http://crushgrind.com/ High quality ceramic mechanisms that can be used
that
way up. Crushgrind do not sell mechanisms to crafters direct.

In US, now available in small quantities - see
http://crushgrind.com/?id=421

Thanks, Andy.

Crushgrind mechs look interesting, and are apparently available at:

http://www.allthingspepper.com

or more specifically,

http://www.allthingspepper.com/ATPNe...mechanisms.php

Since I am in the US, shipping from the UK would be problematic.

An even cheaper source is Ikea. Yes that is Ikea. They sell ready made
mills for around $10 with a Crushgrind mechanism. So throw away the
crummy outer and save at least 50% on anyone else's price
Peter

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Webber

Peter Hyde wrote:

Andy Webber said:

http://crushgrind.com/ High quality ceramic mechanisms that can be used
that
way up. Crushgrind do not sell mechanisms to crafters direct.

An even cheaper source is Ikea. Yes that is Ikea. They sell ready made
mills for around $10 with a Crushgrind mechanism. So throw away the
crummy outer and save at least 50% on anyone else's price
Peter

Oh, they do them and in the US? I was going to mention them, but I couldn't
find them on the Ikea website (UK or US).

Careful with your trademark infringement there; the mechanism is essentially
the same, but it is not genuine Crushgrind - it's a knock-off lookie-likie
mechanism and not as well made.

But if you only want one or two ceramic mechanisms they are indeed a bargain.

Cheers
Andy
http://andywebber.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Stephen M" wrote:

I was recently over for dinner at a friends house and used his Peugeot Mill
and *that's* what I really want. (very smooth, agressive, high-output).

If someone can point me to a mechanism (top or bottom grind) with truly
exceptional performance, I would be more than willing to pay for that
quality.

A tip that's been offered before is to keep your eyes peeled at thrift
stores and yard sales for grinders with Peugeot or other high-quality
mechanisms. Pull the works out and turn a new housing.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Greg G. said:

I've been searching for a top mounted pepper mill mechanism.
(Bottom load, top grind, spills no pepper on the table.)

Thanks, everyone, for the pointers.
I've noticed that you can buy a whole mill cheaper than some of the
mechs themselves - ugghh...

I also noticed, for whoever might be interested, that Woodcraft is now
selling what appears to be the Crushgrind mech in their latest sale
flyer - but they don't have them listed online.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

In article ,
Andy Webber wrote:

Oh, they do them and in the US? I was going to mention them, but I couldn't
find them on the Ikea website (UK or US).

Careful with your trademark infringement there; the mechanism is essentially
the same, but it is not genuine Crushgrind - it's a knock-off lookie-likie
mechanism and not as well made.

But if you only want one or two ceramic mechanisms they are indeed a bargain.

Andy, I'm not to sure about the US but definitely in Canada. I own 2
Ikea mills, glass bottle container with plastic top type, and both the
mechanisms are clearly marked "CrushGrind". However when checking out
Ikea recently the wood mills they now sell have no identifying marks on
the mechanisms but are exactly the same otherwise. I know Ikea shops
around for bulk deals when it comes to suppliers so who knows where
these ones come from.