Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default BowlSaver and a Powermatic 3520

I am interested in purchasing the WoodCut Bowlsaver. I have a
Powermatic 3520. CraftUSA told me not to buy it. They said the
toolpost was too short for my lathe. They said there is a collar that
goes on the post which makes the short tool post even shorter.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Any other owners out there with any warnings or cautions about his
system?
Thanks

RP

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

I have all three of the different coring systems, including the
Woodcut. I also have the PM 3520 A lathe. It fits just fine on my
lathe. The collar is placed on the post, to keep it at proper height,
and you don't have to readjust it every time. It works fine. There are
2 things that I don't like about it. It is made to have the tailstock
engaged when you are coring, and I never use the tailstock when doing
bowls. It will work without it, especially on softer woods like cherry.
On harder ones like some osage orange that I was coring before
Christmas, it was chattering quite a bit. I plan to make an attachment
that will clamp onto the ways of the lathe. The idea behind the
tailstock attaching is to give added support, similar to a longer
handle. The other thing that I don't like is that the biggest core you
can take with it is about 10 inches. This is a waste if you turn bowls
much over 12 inches in diameter. I have also found the blades a bit of
a pain to change. The tool does do a good job of coring, and is simple
to opperate and set up. The price is right. After I have had time to
put this and the Oneway system through serious trials, I will post some
comments here. I have done a number of posts on using the McNaughton
system.
robo hippy
..