Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bizHB

Default turning bowls

can an oland tool comepletely take over the job of the bowlgouge? how
would you go about using a spindle gouge for bowls?
when using the kelton coring system how do you mount the inner bowls to
the lathes? is a faceplate and glued wasteblock the only option? how do
you finish the foot afterwards? otherways besides a doughnut chuck,
vaccuum chuck or jumbo jaws.
~B

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave W

Default turning bowls with Oland tools

Lissi Oland did a demo at our club Thursday night. She did a deep form with
natural edge.
She used only the 1/4" tool to shape and the round cutter for final finish.
Dave

"bizHB" wrote in message
ups.com...
can an oland tool comepletely take over the job of the bowlgouge? how
would you go about using a spindle gouge for bowls?
when using the kelton coring system how do you mount the inner bowls to
the lathes? is a faceplate and glued wasteblock the only option? how do
you finish the foot afterwards? otherways besides a doughnut chuck,
vaccuum chuck or jumbo jaws.
~B

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Remounting with the Kelton/McNaughton coring system: Mike Mahoney has a
DVD out that shows one way to do it. For me I do it different. I use a
recess (mortice) in each bowl. I take the largest core first. To
remount the core, sometimes I leave the faceplate on, or I will turn a
mortice in the top of the core after removing the faceplate. After the
core is removed, I finish the inside of the bowl on the lathe, then
remount the core, turn the outside of it, reverse it, core it, and
repeat until I can't get any more cores. I do turn to finish thickness,
and then let the bowl dry and warp. Power sanding is a must, but I like
the unusual shapes. If you turn thick, dry, and then return, I suppose
you could use the same method that I do, but since you have to remount
and return the bowl anyway, you could just turn out each blank,
probably from the center out so that you only have to mount the biggest
bowl once.
robo hippy.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 15 Jan 2006 03:46:54 -0800, "bizHB" wrote:

can an oland tool comepletely take over the job of the bowlgouge? how
would you go about using a spindle gouge for bowls?
when using the kelton coring system how do you mount the inner bowls to
the lathes? is a faceplate and glued wasteblock the only option? how do
you finish the foot afterwards? otherways besides a doughnut chuck,
vaccuum chuck or jumbo jaws.
~B

I start my bowls with a worm screw, cut a tenon in the bottom and reverse it, so
that the hole from the screw is in the middle of the blank when it's reversed...
(the tenon held in the chuck)

I core the outer bowl, remount the blank on the worm screw using the same (now
threaded) hole, and turn a tenon on the bottom..

Repeat as necessary...

For a REAL answer, ask Robohippy... he's the coring expert and is very good at
explaining the system..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Sure, Oland tools can take the place of bowl gouges easily. Lissie Oland
will happily rough and finish turn a 30" walnut bowl using only the 1/4"
Oland. See http://www.olandcraft.com/ for an example or two. Of course she
cores the thing with a chain saw which I am not about to do. I like the
Oland tools in sizes from 1/8" to 1/2". My lathe and my market tend to keep
me in the 14" range for a big bowl but bigger and smaller are no problem for
an Oland tool. These are cutting tools, not scrapers although a shear cut is
no problem.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Darrell,
Cool site. I was just at Brasstown this past fall. Looks like a great home.
Series of bowl pictures really neat. Quite a lady.

TomNie