Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default turning bowls with Oland tools

Remounting with the Kelton/McNaughton coring system: Mike Mahoney has a
DVD out that shows one way to do it. For me I do it different. I use a
recess (mortice) in each bowl. I take the largest core first. To
remount the core, sometimes I leave the faceplate on, or I will turn a
mortice in the top of the core after removing the faceplate. After the
core is removed, I finish the inside of the bowl on the lathe, then
remount the core, turn the outside of it, reverse it, core it, and
repeat until I can't get any more cores. I do turn to finish thickness,
and then let the bowl dry and warp. Power sanding is a must, but I like
the unusual shapes. If you turn thick, dry, and then return, I suppose
you could use the same method that I do, but since you have to remount
and return the bowl anyway, you could just turn out each blank,
probably from the center out so that you only have to mount the biggest
bowl once.
robo hippy.