Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Anyone Remember This Drying Fad?

While retrieving some red oak to make shoe moldings, I came across this back
on top of the lumber rack. Anyone recall when this fad was current? Seems
it came from "down below" originally.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...t=02816bde.jpg
Fluorescent light, and victim of slow autofocus, but the idea is what
counts.

Theory was to restrain the shrinkage across the grain to retain a bigger
diameter piece for re-turning. As I recall, it was pretty much a disaster
at my house. This piece is really a crap chunk which might have faced a
good one across the log, which is why, I suppose it hasn't been finish
turned in say, five years?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...d 587584e30d6
Turns up the name Soren Berger and a date TEN years ago.

Maybe Susan's right and I ought to incinerate some of the stuff I've put
farther and farther away. Don't think I'd ever re-turn something like this
today. Of course, if the games are a blow-out....

Drying burl and craft wood. burlhunter Woodworking 1 March 3rd 05 05:13 AM
Drying rough turned bowls [email protected] Woodturning 4 March 2nd 05 07:42 PM
Dryer not drying completely Joe Home Repair 9 February 21st 05 04:16 PM
Condenser drier not drying Jo UK diy 11 February 4th 05 11:37 AM
electronic cleaner drying time Aaron Epstein Electronics Repair 0 August 30th 03 07:26 PM