Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Anyone Remember This Drying Fad?

In article , "George" George@least
wrote:

While retrieving some red oak to make shoe moldings, I came across this back
on top of the lumber rack. Anyone recall when this fad was current? Seems
it came from "down below" originally.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...rrent=02816bde.
jpg
Fluorescent light, and victim of slow autofocus, but the idea is what
counts.

But George, by my expert analysis, it appears you placed the brace in
the wrong direction to the grain. According to Soren's instruction, the
brace should be perpendicular to the grain direction - i.e., against the
side grain, not the end grain.

In the thread you referenced Soren Berger wrote: "To keep bowls as
round as possible insert a length of wood 1/2"x1"in the top of the
bowls this stick should be placed accross the run of the grain just cut
these sticks on the bandsaw with a slight taper on the ends with an
easy fit into the bowl..."

Hmmmm?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.