Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default laminating pepper mills

I've seen some really nice looking pepper mills where the alternating
colors of wood have been angled in such a way to look when turned,
varying thicknesses and shapes. What I can't find is a link or source
to learn how to do the same.HAs anyone ever done the laminating and
had it come out nice, or soes anyone know of a step by step link to
learn...thanks in advance

Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Galanw

It's not too hard. Basically you glue up a block of contrasting woods
sandwiched together. Then you slice the block diagonally and reglue it so
that the woods are slanted diagonally, and turn away. If you are handy with
a CAD program, you can map it all out and see what the wood patterns will
look like based on the shape you turn. I'll post some photos on ABPW.

Galanw

wrote in message
I've seen some really nice looking pepper mills where the alternating
colors of wood have been angled in such a way to look when turned,
varying thicknesses and shapes. What I can't find is a link or source
to learn how to do the same.HAs anyone ever done the laminating and
had it come out nice, or soes anyone know of a step by step link to
learn...thanks in advance

Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Eric
I tried to answer on the question on deer antler. Good luck.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian C

This is a link to a pen-turners site that has steps for something
similar.

http://purpleheartpens.com/html/maki...oss_pen_0.html

His pen has four pieces of veneer inserted at all crfossing each other.

Brian C.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
Brian C wrote:

This is a link to a pen-turners site that has steps for something
similar.

http://purpleheartpens.com/html/maki...oss_pen_0.html

His pen has four pieces of veneer inserted at all crfossing each other.

I love it. That's quite beautiful.

Thanks for the link.

djb