Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian

Default Grizzly Chucks

Hi,

I recently purchased the Grizzly 4 jaw chuck that looks like the super nova
and several others. I also got the 3 jaw mini scroll chuck.

I have tried both of them.

The big one works great. It is easy to use and comes with everything except
accessory jaws. I got them but have not tried them yet. It is easy to
tighten one handed. Its travel is smooth and easy. Fit on the lathe is
right on and it turn true. I have done a small (3") bowl with it out of
Peruvian walnut. it held right on with no problem. Just to get a feel for
the other end of things I got out a bowl rough that I started over a year
ago and had trouble keeping it in the chuck. It is a piece of Fir root that
weighs about 25 pounds and is a mix of random grain and bark and termite
tunnels. It is very hard and a real difficult piece to work. I mounted it
up knowing that it was going to be way out of balance. Well, it lived up to
my expectation as it was out of balance and out of round. The chuck held it
tight with no difficulty and although I checked it several times I didn't
have to tighten the chuck once it was on the lathe. I have not tried the
accessory jaws yet but they appear to be the same high quality machining as
the chuck.

All in all, I have to say that it is a good value at $90.

The little chuck is cute (ok that is perhaps not the best description of a
finely machined piece of valuable turning equipment). The chuck is supplied
with two arbors (MT 1 and MT 2). Everything is packed very well and the
machining is excellent. The movement is smooth and without binding anywhere
throughout the movement. It holds very well. Only negative, it is three
jaw so it does much better with round pieces than with square blanks. Not
bad for $20.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DJ Delorie

I have one of the Grizzly three-jaw machinist chucks on my lathe (6"
diam, weighs a ton) and it's so dead true and rock solid it makes my
supernova feel like a wal-mart special.

Unfortunately, it only comes with the smooth machinist jaws, so it's
best used for spigots and rings, not bowls.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dick

What mod. # is the small 3-jaw scroll chuck? I went to Grizzly and can't
seem to find anything like the one you mentioned.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at
"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Brian,

What is the circumfrence of the 4 jaw?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brian

The mini chuck is 2"diameter three jaw with reversible jaws. The Grizzly
part number is H5934

The 4 jaw chuck can go to 1 1/4 inch min diameter and inside is
1 13/16 inch. The whole chuck is about 4-5 inches in diameter. The part
number for the 1"X 8 TPI is H6265. Incidentally, you can use other inserts
on this chuck. I still have not used the accessory jaws on it.

Now that I have a little more time with the mini chuck I have one comment.
While it works great the jaws are smooth so it doesn't grab the dovetail in
expansion mode as well as I might like. I have had several tauga nuts come
loose and go walk about.

Brian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Singleton

"Brian" wrote in message

The little chuck is cute (ok that is perhaps not the best description of a
finely machined piece of valuable turning equipment). The chuck is
supplied with two arbors (MT 1 and MT 2). Everything is packed very well
and the machining is excellent. The movement is smooth and without
binding anywhere throughout the movement. It holds very well. Only
negative, it is three jaw so it does much better with round pieces than
with square blanks. Not bad for $20.

Brian

How'd you get the little chuck for $20? It's listed at $39.95, on the web
site.

Kevin