Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Default new page on the web site

I just added a page on the web site about making a screw chuck.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just a thought Darrell, you might put on there somewhere whether you
drilled and tapped the back of the chuck, or if the glue block was
sized to put into your scroll chuck.

I made a really mean one out of white oak that I put on an old iron
faceplate and it works great.

As always, thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Robert
Thanks. Actually the reference is to one of the glue blocks I make that is
threaded for the lathe. People can use one of those or dedicate a faceplate.
I will make the addition in the page writing to clarify.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 04:00:04 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

I just added a page on the web site about making a screw chuck.

How did Chuck react to that??

Just kidding, Darrell... thanks for the info.. (again)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mapleburr

Keep up the good work Darrell! Once again you have something that I
will use in my woodworking!

Thanks!

Bob Darrah
West Linn, Oregon

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Thanks Bob. By the way, I just added a page to the projects section on
making a Lazy Susan server.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

wrote:

I just added a page on the web site about making a screw chuck.

How did Chuck react to that??

I'm fine with it.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

See? Chuck is easy to get along with.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:48:44 GMT, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:

Thanks Bob. By the way, I just added a page to the projects section on
making a Lazy Susan server.

Now THAT'S one that George won't touch.. rofl
(or OTOH, he might be one?)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well, at least he didn't call it a "screw Chuck page".. *g*

Caught me off guard with that one. Now that's funny.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lenny

wrote:

I just added a page on the web site about making a screw chuck.

That's a great idea ! Thanks Darrell. I have also been looking at your
hollowing tool and hope to take a stab at making one myself.
One question.... I'm not too familiar with tapping.... could someone
steer me towards what size tap I would need for a 1 x 8 headstock
(Rockwell),
Thanks,
Lenny
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lenny:

If I recall correctly, it is 7/8". I have a set I bought on EBAY and I
have only used them for MDF and white oak. 7/8" pilot worked fine.

Robert

heh heh heh.... screw Chuck page....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate

Larry
You answered the question yourself. For a 1" x 8 headstock you need a 1" x 8
tap. I think I got mine form Enco. Carbon steel is fine for wood tapping but
HSS will last a long, long time.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Whoops... need to read a little closer. Listen to Darrell, not Robert.

If you need a tap for a 1X8 thread, you use a 1X8 tap. I took this for
granted and was thinking he was asking about the pilot hole sized for
the tap.

Robert
(as he is putting on his glasses...)