Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Richard

Default Wanted----Collet Chuck

Does any one have a Collet chuck that they don't use any more? I am
looking for one that will hold 3/4" Work. I can use any of the below sizes.
3/4" X 16,
1" X 8, or
#1 or #2 Morse taper.
(I know that Beall has them, but would like to try one before putting
out a full price for them).
Thank you.
--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
BirdOasis

I use the Oneway Talon Chuck. You can get them at most any woodturning
site.

It's fantastic because I can adjust it to hold most of the sizes that I
turn from 1/8th of an inch to 2 1/2 inches. It comes with a key that
allows you to hold the wood in one hand while tightening the chuck with
the other.

Most of the chucks I've seen use two pin lever systems. This Onway
talon is much easier to load.

If you want to try differant chucks, contact your most local
woodturning club. Just search for the woodturners association site to
find your local site.

John Patrick
www.birdoasis.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Richard, As a quick & dirty interim solution, you might try using a
brass or stainless steel plumbing compression fitting as a collet chuck.
For a 3/4x16 spindle use a 1/2 in pipe to 3/4 in. tube straight fitting
if available at a plumber's supply. The compressed oval ring prevents
axial motion better than circular motion of smooth tubing, but should be
ok for circular motion of wood. I've used smaller ones to hold bottle
stopper dowels, finials etc., but never over 1/2 in.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter