burlat3

Default antique lathe

Has anyone ever heard of Cash Buyers Union Manufacturing lathes? The only
references I have been able to find to that name was a big company that
existed mid 1800's and manufactured wagons and bicycles. I believe the one
that I have could be a piece of company equipment rather than a retail
model.

I bought it as a home made rig at a yard sale a cabinet maker friend of mine
had and he has been dead for twenty years now. He said it was made of a
couple of old sewing machines and that when he bought it, it even came with
an old treadle stand but had been converted to electric.

The head had much fancier painting on it than the tailstock. That sort of
supported the sewing machine story, and the wheel to tighten the bite of the
center really looks like the big wheel on an old singer with the round
bottom pulley groove and spokes and all.

I haven't been able to find a manufacturers casting mark of any kind on the
tailstock piece.

If any of you old timers have any idea of what I might have just please post
response.

I know that the company name on the only plate was associated with a stock
scandal in about 1850 something and I can't find any reference other than
this company had a public investment at that time of about 5 Million
dollars. And now no other record? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
will follow thread.

Dave Balderstone

In article TXOdf.533426$x96.481391@attbi_s72, burlat3
wrote:

If any of you old timers have any idea of what I might have just please post
response.

Pictures?

--
"Wherever there is a jackboot stomping on a human face there will be a
well-heeled Western liberal to explain that the face does, after all, enjoy
Owen Lowe

In article .ca,
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Pictures?

Agreed - I'd love to see a pic of this.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Peter Hyde

"burlat3" wrote:

[...]

Try posting he
http://www.owwm.com/

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
burlat3

Sorry I didn't post pics. I will. I've been away from the computer, but I
will repost with pics by the weekend. Time is at a premium. Thanks for the
link to the old tools site that really looked like a place to lose a few
days.