Owen Lowe

Default Norad's Santa Report

I vividly remember one Christmas...

Back in '69 when I lived in Front Royal, Virginia. Christmas eve and it
was snowing, snowing, snowing. My family and I were headed off to church
for the candlelight services. The snow was already several inches deep
and showed no signs of letting up, but that didn't stop my dad from
maneuvering the station wagon down the hill where we lived and into
town. I recall all the neighbors' Christmas lights twinkling through the
fog of snow.

The radio was tuned to a station that carried the official government
NORAD broadcasts of where Santa's sleigh was last spotted. I imagined
some NASA Mission Control-type room with radar screens and Air Force
guys all watching Santa make his way around the world. Rumors were
flying that year in Mrs. Barnett's First Grade that perhaps Santa was
not real; I was confused and didn't quite know what to believe. On the
one hand, Santa's hand writing looked suspiciously similar to my
mother's. But here was the North American Air Defense Command actually
reporting that they'd spotted 9 objects in the skies over the North
Pole. It must really have been Santa. It was the government, it was on
the radio, they couldn't do that if it wasn't true.

It was one of the few Christmas's I remember with such fondness. Quiet.
Expectant. Tense. Excited. Magical.

Several times today, I sat before my own computer screen, typing in
numbers, waiting for the results. Tracking an object from up North and
headed for me - and me alone. It's got 750 miles yet to go; right now
it's in Salt Lake City having arrived tonight at 8:49 aboard trailer
#288130 - kinda heavy too at 847 pounds. It left Harrisburg, PA on
Tuesday at 6:30 in the morning. That's making pretty good time. Before
Tuesday though, it sat in Harrisburg for almost 3 days. I'm glad I
didn't have the information at that time to watch it sit there day after
day. It all started the journey on the 28th in Toronto, which is pretty
near the North Pole, right?

Tomorrow will find me right back at my computer checking on #288130's
progress past the wheat and potato fields of Utah, Idaho and Oregon -
alongside the Columbia mile after mile - making it's way toward Mt. Hood
and Stump Town. Probably won't make it's way to the Chehalem Valley 'til
Monday, but I guess I can be patient for a few more days. Quiet.
Expectant. Tense. Excited. Magical.

We age. We tell ourself we're wiser; not as easily fooled; perhaps feel
our excitement with life's events have dulled over the years. But, when
it comes right down to it, that 7 year old never grows up; never lets
life chase away the anticipation and delight; just can't resist taking a
peak inside to feast upon what is to come.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.

It's a good man that still finds the joys of life.

But you didn't tell us... whatcha gettin?

Robert

AAAHA!

Owen you dog... a Oneway? Only in my fondest dreams...

But I guess my current pea green color wouldn't go well with that nice
off white.

*sigh*

I must say though, congratulations!

Robert

Tom Nie

Oneway's my bet, too, Robert. And here's Arch waxing about bigger!

Owen, it finally ended up being a 3520B for me because their show pricing
was awesome. I'm putting it together downstairs now. What do you use to keep
rust off?

That Mount Hood area is COOL. I had the chance to stand at the Sawtooth(?)
ranger's station and look across the valley and behind us to the South, Mt.
St. Helens. Really neat vista. We rode our motorcycles thru all that land,
Vancouver Island, and down the whole coast. I love your land.

TomNie

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Arch

Great post Owen. I'm glad for the reason you wrote it, but it's hard to
remain a COC after reading it. That's one big lathe that will be used
happily and well.

Hi Robert, Better a dirty used white than a pristine unused off white.

Hey Tom, No intent to rain on anyone's parade, especially Owen's. He
gets enough rain. BTW, _use will keep both lathe & turner from rusting.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

WillR

Owen Lowe wrote:

Several times today, I sat before my own computer screen, typing in
numbers, waiting for the results. Tracking an object from up North and
headed for me - and me alone. It's got 750 miles yet to go; right now
it's in Salt Lake City having arrived tonight at 8:49 aboard trailer
#288130 - kinda heavy too at 847 pounds. It left Harrisburg, PA on
Tuesday at 6:30 in the morning. That's making pretty good time. Before
Tuesday though, it sat in Harrisburg for almost 3 days. I'm glad I
didn't have the information at that time to watch it sit there day after
day.

It all started the journey on the 28th in Toronto, which is pretty
near the North Pole, right?

No self-respecting inhabitant of the Canadian North would _ever_ admit
to being anywhere near Toronto Ontario (Hogtown) -- and that's just the
way it is. They don't even wear mukluks there...

Toronto is in the Deep South of Canada. Just check your maps...

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Tom Nie" wrote:

No self-respecting inhabitant of the Canadian North would _ever_ admit
to being anywhere near Toronto Ontario (Hogtown) -- and that's just the
way it is. They don't even wear mukluks there...

Toronto is in the Deep South of Canada. Just check your maps...

Isn't all of Canada covered with snow with mooses walking through
picture windows? Polar Bears? Ice?

Hmmmm. I had no idea Toronto was further south than where I am SW of
Portland OR -- Mississauga, ON, where the lathe started its journey is
112.5 miles SOUTH of me! It must be downright balmy up/down there.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Tom Nie" wrote:

Oneway's my bet, too, Robert. And here's Arch waxing about bigger!

Owen, it finally ended up being a 3520B for me because their show pricing
was awesome. I'm putting it together downstairs now. What do you use to keep
rust off?

That Mount Hood area is COOL. I had the chance to stand at the Sawtooth(?)
ranger's station and look across the valley and behind us to the South, Mt.
St. Helens. Really neat vista. We rode our motorcycles thru all that land,
Vancouver Island, and down the whole coast. I love your land.

My apologies, Tom, for the long delay in responding.

Congrats on the PM. A turning friend just ordered his PM and I believe
is now going through the waiting. As to rust, in my basement I've got no
problems with it. It's a fully finished basement that is dry with no
mold or moisture problems.

The garage shop is another story though. Those tool surfaces are oiled
for the winter if I don't have any plans to use them. The bandsaw is
waxed when I remember, but I do have to occasionally Scotch-brite or
wet/dry sand the table to remove light rusting. I'm in the midst of
drying up the situation in there and hope to install a furnace to help
keep it dry on the winter days when things *inside* the shop develop
condensation.

Thanks for the compliments on the area. I'm a northern Arizona native,
but grew up back East. Oregon reminds me of Pennsylvania and Virginia
with the green and trees. The winters get pretty grim with month after
month of overcast, but the Summer and Fall really make up for it in my
mind. Too bad our section of the Pacific ocean is so numbingly cold -
not like the N. Carolina, Virginia or NewJoicy beaches.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Pour your end-grain sealer into a clean, wide-mouth
clothes detergent bottle. The lid makes a handy dipping container for
your brush and the leftovers will drain back into the bottle when you
recap the jug.
Owen Lowe

In article ,
Owen Lowe wrote:

The radio was tuned to a station that carried the official government
NORAD broadcasts of where Santa's sleigh was last spotted. I imagined
some NASA Mission Control-type room with radar screens and Air Force
guys all watching Santa make his way around the world. Rumors were
flying that year in Mrs. Barnett's First Grade that perhaps Santa was
not real; I was confused and didn't quite know what to believe. On the
one hand, Santa's hand writing looked suspiciously similar to my
mother's. But here was the North American Air Defense Command actually
reporting that they'd spotted 9 objects in the skies over the North
Pole. It must really have been Santa. It was the government, it was on
the radio, they couldn't do that if it wasn't true.

snip
Several times today, I sat before my own computer screen, typing in
numbers, waiting for the results. Tracking an object from up North and
headed for me - and me alone. It's got 750 miles yet to go; right now
it's in Salt Lake City having arrived tonight at 8:49 aboard trailer
#288130 - kinda heavy too at 847 pounds. It left Harrisburg, PA on
Tuesday at 6:30 in the morning. That's making pretty good time. Before
Tuesday though, it sat in Harrisburg for almost 3 days.

My little package has been sitting at the freight terminal near PDX
since last Friday morning - called them early that afternoon. They don't
run trucks out my way until tomorrow (tuesday) so have been sitting on
my excitement for 4 days now. Kinda like spotting Santa's sleigh and
team on the roof of the neighbor's house and then having to wait, wait,
wait for him to rise up the chimney for the hop-skip-jump to my roof.