LRod

Default Question for the people with lathe experience.

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:45:40 -0800, "TomWoodman"
wrote:

[cross posted to rec.crafts.woodturning for your convenience]

I need about a dozen 2" x 18" solid maple spindles. How much lathe power
(in terms of dollars) do I need to spend to turn this size stock?

I don't think there's anything special about a 2" spindle that is
cause for concern as regards power. Except for the length, a mini
lathe would do it just fine. And considering that both Jet and Delta
(I think) now have bed extensions, adding one would solve even that
problem (NB: there are other minis-Vicmarc, for one--probably even
Harbor Fright--gag).

However, nice as the minis are, by the time you add a bed extension,
you might be getting near the range of the low end full size lathes.
With those you get some more power and no fussing with extensions
(admittedly a one-time task), but if you aren't planning on doing a
lot of turning, then the mini is probably your best bet.

Unless, of course, you're within 100 miles or so of Daytona Beach, in
which case I can set you up with a Craftsman tube bed lathe, several
extra centers, tool rests, face plates, AND a set of turning tools for
just $150. It's a fine beginner lathe and all you need for the task at
hand. Email me if you're interested.

Now, about duplication. The human eye is a wondrous thing. It'll pick
up minor fractions of deviations in some things yet at the same time
gloss over minor differences in others. Turned furniture legs fall
into the latter category, and to a lesser degree, so do stair
balusters. So long as you get the general shape (use a template to
check) and the principal diameters close, they'll be "good enough."
Maybe not what a perfectionist, anal retentive wrecker wants to hear,
but how much time do you want to spend getting REALLY good at this?

Good luck.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

mac davis

wrote:

[...]

Or, add a duplicator to the mini for a little over $100...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing