Barry N. Turner

Default Kelton Hollower

My Kelton Hollower is beginning to lose its edge. I keep touching up the
edge with a credit card-sized diamond hone, but I keep thinking its gonna
need grinding. I'm using the one with the most severe curve. Anyone ever
try grinding one of these things? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to give it a
shot, but I don't wanna ruin my tool.

Barry

scott

hey Barry,
I just ran into this situation - at the risk of sounding like i get a
kickback from Oneway - thier Wolverine Grinding system with the
vari-grind attachment thing is totally cool. My Kelton Hollower was
also losing it's bite and I also used a diamond hone...eh....then when
I got the new grinding rig set up I deceided to give it a try on "ol'
Kelton...without the vari-grind, I held the flat side of the tool
tangent to the surface of the wheel and just touched it to create a
burr -then very carfully used the diamond hone across the end of the
tip and the thing cut like new....

just don't take too big a cut on the grinding wheel and it really does
need to be a slow speed wheel. I'm pretty sure that if you had a 6"
rather than the more popular 8" whell, the grind on the edge or face of
the hollower would be perfect...I just haven't gotten that 6" wheel
yet.

Greg Jensen

Try using a medium slip stone or hard Arkansas instead of the diamond. A
course diamond is 220 grit which is not course enough to raise a good burr.

Greg Jensen
North American Rep for Kelton Tools