Rob McConachie

Default Please Help Me Locate Exotic Wood Blanks

Greetings!

I am looking for reasonably priced exotic wood bowl blanks (preferrably in
the detroit area). But, I would be interested in finding them on the web.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/ in PA

http://www.exoticlumberinc.com/ in MD

http://www.world-of-hardwoods.com/ in MD

George Saridakis

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Michael Latcha

If you already been to the two Woodcraft locations
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=310
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=321

and Armstrong Millworks
http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/004781.php

and Public Lumber (my favorite)
http://www.publiclumber.com/

then you've been to all of the good sources in the Detroit area.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

"Rob McConachie" wrote in message
Greetings!

I am looking for reasonably priced exotic wood bowl blanks (preferrably in
the detroit area). But, I would be interested in finding them on the web.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob

Rob McConachie

blank look, forgot that one...

Rob

"George Saridakis" wrote in message
http://www.woodfinder.com/

Michael Latcha

Just blow through the door marked "Employees Only" (it's just a suggestion)
to get to the back, then up the stairs to the SE corner of the loft. They
toss offcuts there, with ridiculous prices on them. I often have to bring a
truck, and always regret the stuff I have to leave behind. Give yourself an
hour or so just to look around in the back, they have some amazing wood
there, some of it they've forgotten they have. Enjoy...

[...]

Chuck

http://www.curtislumber.com

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Bill Collier

Rob McConachie wrote:
Greetings!

I am looking for reasonably priced exotic wood bowl blanks (preferrably in
the detroit area). But, I would be interested in finding them on the web.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob

Try www.penblanks.ca and click on "blocks and burls" on the left hand
side of the home page. You can see exactly the piece you will be buying.

Anne Watson

If you happen to be in southern Arizona take a look at this URL.

http://www.mesquitedesign.com/
Most of their page concerns the furniture they build BUT they have a large
lumberyard full oif mesquite- which make beutiful turnings.

Take your tape measure and wander through their selections.
Their showroom contains some pieces for sale but they do a lot of custom
work.
While we were there a fellow had just purchased a 10 foot long bench , he
was going to haul to Boise, Idaho. Not cheap but a beautiful visual piece
of art.

WARNING mesquite is real hardwood, no turning it with dull tools.

My brother who is a budding turner just visited there yesterday and picked
out some pieces to turn into bolws.

It is located just south of Tubac, Arizona .

No connection, just an interested buyer

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

"Anne Watson" wrote in message
nk.net...
If you happen to be in southern Arizona take a look at this URL.

http://www.mesquitedesign.com/
Most of their page concerns the furniture they build BUT they have a large
lumberyard full oif mesquite- which make beutiful turnings.

Take your tape measure and wander through their selections.
Their showroom contains some pieces for sale but they do a lot of custom
work.
While we were there a fellow had just purchased a 10 foot long bench , he
was going to haul to Boise, Idaho. Not cheap but a beautiful visual piece
of art.

WARNING mesquite is real hardwood, no turning it with dull tools.

The density is about twice that of oak, plus it has a high silica content,
so it dulls tools quickly.
Ken Moon