Default food grad finishes

I am interested in knowing if a mixture of tung oil, spar varnish and
turpentine will cure to a food safe finish. If so how long does it
take to become food safe?

W Canaday

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:32:48 -0700, rodnhazel wrote:

I am interested in knowing if a mixture of tung oil, spar varnish and
turpentine will cure to a food safe finish. If so how long does it
take to become food safe?

According to gubmint sources I have read, yes it will cure up to a
food-safe condition.

WHEN that might happens is the result of a wide array of factors you
didn't specify and we can't predict. Your first clue will be when you can
no longer smell the finish. I'd give it a good month (at least)beyond that
point in the "belt + suspenders" tradition. You are looking for the
solvents to depart ... the remaining solids are a) relatively safe and b)
unlikely to be eaten in a significant quantity.

BTW, spar varnish is a phenomenally bad choice ... it is intended NOT to
dry for a long time. But eventually, even spar varnish will dry.

Suggest you consider an ordinary wiping varnish instead and just call it
a day.

Bill
George

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
BTW, spar varnish is a phenomenally bad choice ... it is intended NOT to
dry for a long time. But eventually, even spar varnish will dry.

Suggest you consider an ordinary wiping varnish instead and just call it
a day.

Spar varnish is long on the oil component for the flexibility it will
require to survive fluctuations in temperature outdoors. It also normally
includes an ultraviolet inhibitor for the same reason - it's outdoor
varnish.

Since it is a long oil varnish, it will take longer to cure than standard
varnish, but not as long as if it were strictly a curing oil. Save that the
greater amount of oil versus resin makes a softer film, it is perfectly
suited to the task of keeping moisture out of the wood. Your best choice?
Maybe.