W Canaday

Default food grad finishes

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:32:48 -0700, rodnhazel wrote:

I am interested in knowing if a mixture of tung oil, spar varnish and
turpentine will cure to a food safe finish. If so how long does it
take to become food safe?

According to gubmint sources I have read, yes it will cure up to a
food-safe condition.

WHEN that might happens is the result of a wide array of factors you
didn't specify and we can't predict. Your first clue will be when you can
no longer smell the finish. I'd give it a good month (at least)beyond that
point in the "belt + suspenders" tradition. You are looking for the
solvents to depart ... the remaining solids are a) relatively safe and b)
unlikely to be eaten in a significant quantity.

BTW, spar varnish is a phenomenally bad choice ... it is intended NOT to
dry for a long time. But eventually, even spar varnish will dry.

Suggest you consider an ordinary wiping varnish instead and just call it
a day.

Bill