mac davis

Default finishing DUH.. don't try this at home

I had just finished turning my first cherry bowl last night, courtesy of Chuck,
who had read my post here about not having hard wood in CA and sending some..

I had put 1 coat of modified turner's polish on, buffed it a bit and decided
that a 2nd coat would give it a nice depth....
I waited the hour suggested, (something that I've finally developed enough
patience to do), and did my usual prep of the lathe:

Brushed all shavings, etc. off lathe... Hit the chuck, work and head stock with
shop vac.. made sure that my wife wasn't planning to use the belt sander
(DAMHIK), etc...

As I was applying the friction finish, I realized that I was nice and cool,
meaning that the "turbo fan" that was pointed at me was still on... and blowing
nice, fine sanding dust from the bench to the bowl...

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG......

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lee Michaels

"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

LOL

Going for that "textured" look?

mac davis

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:11:27 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

well, it looks like it's made to sand irregular shapes.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
As I was applying the friction finish, I realized that I was nice and
cool,
meaning that the "turbo fan" that was pointed at me was still on... and
blowing
nice, fine sanding dust from the bench to the bowl...

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG......

Going for that "textured" look?

Well, they put sand in polyurethane for wear resistance, and on stairs to
keep you from slipping. Just tell 'em it's a non-slip no-drop bowl.

mac davis

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:35:35 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
As I was applying the friction finish, I realized that I was nice and
cool,
meaning that the "turbo fan" that was pointed at me was still on... and
blowing
nice, fine sanding dust from the bench to the bowl...

ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG......

Going for that "textured" look?

Well, they put sand in polyurethane for wear resistance, and on stairs to
keep you from slipping. Just tell 'em it's a non-slip no-drop bowl.

I really dropped the ball on this one, George.. I resanded and finished it,
thereby missing an opportunity..

As Lee said, it has a textured look.. I should have sold it to my neighbor, a
drywall and texture contractor, as an advertisement, for big bucks.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:40:03 -0700, "Bruce Ferguson"
wrote:

A teacher I once had said " there are no mistakes in woodturning only design
changes"

Bruce

Good point, Bruce... one of those "I meant to do that" things.. rofl

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lee Michaels

"mac davis" wrote

wrote:

A teacher I once had said " there are no mistakes in woodturning only
design
changes"

Bruce

Good point, Bruce... one of those "I meant to do that" things.. rofl

Come on Mac, you can do better than that.

You are an ahhhtist. You create ahht.

Just tell them it was a creative outburst. Ya know, one of those artist
things.

You channeled it from the art gods.

It was meant to be.

mac davis

"mac davis" wrote

wrote:

A teacher I once had said " there are no mistakes in woodturning only
design
changes"

Bruce

Good point, Bruce... one of those "I meant to do that" things.. rofl

Come on Mac, you can do better than that.

You are an ahhhtist. You create ahht.

Just tell them it was a creative outburst. Ya know, one of those artist
things.

You channeled it from the art gods.

It was meant to be.

I could have auction it on Ebay, I guess..... "It was smooth the night before
but Tinkerbelle must have dusted it!!"