Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jim Staley

Default Rounding the bottom

I have made a number of segmented bowls using a Ringmaster. This tool cuts
tapered rings from a flat piece of wood so that one fits exactly on another.
They are glued together and to the remaining disc and then sanded. The 1/2"
hole used to hold the board on the Ringmaster is filled with a plug. The
angle of taper depends on the wall thickness and board thickness, but is
usually about 27 degrees.

I just bought a lathe, and I would like to round the bottom of some of my
bowls. I'd like advice on how to hold them on the lathe and how to shape
the bottom. I am considering the following for bowls that I have completed:

1. Mount on lathe using Cole jaws to hold top.
2. Turn a shoulder on the bottom.
3. Reverse on lathe and hold with 4-jaw chuck.
4. Shape bottom.

For future bowls, I am considering the following so that I have more room
for turning:

1. Glue bottom to next ring.
2. Mount this assembly on lathe using Morse taper 1/2" threaded thingy.
3. Turn a shoulder on the bottom using parting tool.
4. Remove thingy and replace with 4-jaw chuck.
5. Mount assembly, and shape bottom.

I'd appreciate any comments and advice. I am particularly concerned with
blending the ring with the bottom. With my extremely limited lathe
experience, I can't figure out how to make the cut. I am considering a
round nose scraper.