Kip

Default Lathe set up for handicapped

A member of our local club has a problem with his legs that make it
difficult for him to steady hinself while standing. He's asked if some
of the members could come up with a way to mount a lathe such that it
could be approached and used from a wheelchair. Seems to me that
somewhere I've seen articles on this, but a quick search did not find
them. If there's anyone who has knowledge about/experience with this
type of modification, I'd sure appreciate any leads or advice

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Kip their is a site dedicated to your needs try
http://www.ableworkshop.com

Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

Kip wrote:
A member of our local club has a problem with his legs that make it
difficult for him to steady hinself while standing. He's asked if some
of the members could come up with a way to mount a lathe such that it
could be approached and used from a wheelchair. Seems to me that
somewhere I've seen articles on this, but a quick search did not find
them. If there's anyone who has knowledge about/experience with this
type of modification, I'd sure appreciate any leads or advice

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Bill Rubenstein

John Nichols was making a lathe for wheelchair-bound turners. The bed
was low and slanted toward the turner rather than horizontal. The
tailstock lock was hydraulically actuated -- maybe the banjo lock also.
I remember that one year at the AAW Symposium, John had a wheelchair
there to demonstrate.

He had a lot of good ideas but I'm afraid that John is no longer making
lathes.

Bill

Kip wrote:
A member of our local club has a problem with his legs that make it
difficult for him to steady hinself while standing. He's asked if some
of the members could come up with a way to mount a lathe such that it
could be approached and used from a wheelchair. Seems to me that
somewhere I've seen articles on this, but a quick search did not find
them. If there's anyone who has knowledge about/experience with this
type of modification, I'd sure appreciate any leads or advice

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Derek Hartzell

I was surprised by this statement, so I called the telephone number from his
website and got a message that the number was not in service.

Derek

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. ..
He had a lot of good ideas but I'm afraid that John is no longer making
lathes.

Bill

Ralph E Lindberg

In article . com,
"Kip" wrote:

A member of our local club has a problem with his legs that make it
difficult for him to steady hinself while standing. He's asked if some
of the members could come up with a way to mount a lathe such that it
could be approached and used from a wheelchair. Seems to me that
somewhere I've seen articles on this, but a quick search did not find
them. If there's anyone who has knowledge about/experience with this
type of modification, I'd sure appreciate any leads or advice

Kip, one of my friends does -all- his woodworking from a wheel chair.
Both of his lathes are bench top mounted on tables that he can slide his
chair up to.
All of his tools are mounted in similar fashion, his workshop is also
the neatest/cleanest I have ever seen.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Ken Moon

"Kip" wrote in message
ups.com...
A member of our local club has a problem with his legs that make it
difficult for him to steady hinself while standing. He's asked if some
of the members could come up with a way to mount a lathe such that it
could be approached and used from a wheelchair. Seems to me that
somewhere I've seen articles on this, but a quick search did not find
them. If there's anyone who has knowledge about/experience with this
type of modification, I'd sure appreciate any leads or advice

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR

Kip,
Have your friend contact me. I've been in a wheelchair for the past 5 years.
Lots of variables to consider, and chair may not be his first/ best option
initially.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Kip

Ken: Thank you for your response. WHat is your email address - it
doesn't show on the google groups screen. Please let me know at