Tom Nie

Default Owen - WoW is WOW

Cool site. Sometimes really interesting comments and descriptions along with
killer work and photos. That's something covered here awhile back - the
quality of the photos in relation to the quality/price of the object. It's
interesting to see results and expert comments/critique (though I sometimes
wonder about critiques whether they're valid or an effort to have something
to say). Quality of photography is as valid to showing a piece as importance
of appropriate lighting of it in the home.

Thanks a ton for inviting me. I've barely scratched the surface and can't
stop saving pages.

How in the world does John Jordan do those ribs and openings? Is it turned
then carved? If so how does he keep such perfect lines? And that finish on
"Red-maple-ribbed" - did he not sand it? The satin sheen goes extremely well
with the "textured" cut. Check the "Silveer-maple-burl-detail" for
somewhat the same textured finish and cut. Where do all these ideas come
from?

And Doug Brown's pen and ink well set in the Pacific Northwest Woodturning
Guild gallery! He said it would be in the Woodturning Design magazine later
this year. Work like Molly Winton's AAW auction piece leaves the beauty of
"wood" behind and might as well be a painting or pottery if wood grain is
your thing. For me, it's the substantial beauty of the wood formed with an
artist's design like Doug, John, and you to name but a few.

TomNie

Tom,

You're right that WoW is a terrrific site. Herm de Vries came up with
the idea a little over a year ago. He was a regular here on the ng
and took a poll to see how many turners would actually be interested in
such a site if he set it up. There were about 15(?) of us that were
the original members, Molly and I were among them. To date there are
close to 600 members (a little too many to keep up with).

What I like about the site is if you go to Molly's album (for
instance), you can see her first postings and how wonderfully she's
progressed in her turnings to her "fame" at KC this year!

Tom, always keep in mind that a "critique" is another word for
"opinion".

Enjoy WoW but don't stop posting here.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

Owen Lowe

In article , "Tom Nie"
wrote:

Thanks a ton for inviting me. I've barely scratched the surface and can't
stop saving pages.

You are quite welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying it. True confession
time: I gave up trying to keep up about a year or two ago - there's just
too much there and it's constantly being added to! (Reminds me of the
Sorcerer's Apprentice in Fantasia or I Love Lucy when she's working at
the chocolate factory - they just keep coming and coming and coming...)

How in the world does John Jordan do those ribs and openings? Is it turned
then carved? If so how does he keep such perfect lines? And that finish on
"Red-maple-ribbed" - did he not sand it? The satin sheen goes extremely well
with the "textured" cut. Check the "Silveer-maple-burl-detail" for
somewhat the same textured finish and cut. Where do all these ideas come
from?

The really cool thing about WoW is that you can ask John how he does it.
Last I looked there were a number of professionals participating, which
shows that they're open to discussion - so ask away.

I can offer my take on John's work - yes, it's turned and then carved
and textured. He may sketch the lines on prior to cutting but I don't
believe there's any way to cut them other than by steady hand control.
The red maple piece appears to be textured after turning and carving.
For this type of work you've still got to sand before the texturing or
the scratches and such will still show through the textured surface.

Note to others: After Tom's glowing review, if anyone else would like to
take a look at World of Woodturners, send me an email indicating your
first and last name and a valid email address for the username and
password to be sent. And, BTW, Tom - now you too can invite others.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm

mac davis

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:29:42 -0400, "Ruth Niles" wrote:

Ralph, are you sure it was 4 years ago? Couldn't be. Let's see my
granddaughter was 3 when I made the "little people stool" that I posted
there and she's 6 now so........................wow, looks like you're
right!

wow! (no pun intended) I thought it was just me that stopped judging what
happened in the past by my kid's and started using the grand kids.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Graeme :\)

im too new and nobody will invite me to wow

--
Graeme
" Daddy to 2 corn snakes "Heshe & Indy"
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
In article , "Tom Nie"
wrote:

[...]

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Graeme :\)" wrote:

im too new and nobody will invite me to wow

Well, I'll invite you. I received your email but you didn't indicate
what your last name is - and I need that to get the invitation to work.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,