Andy McArdle

Default Anyone used these products?

I was given a couple of finishing products today and as I'm not familiar
with 'em would like some feedback from someone who is. They're Aussie made,
so I don't know if they're available overseas, but it's worth asking.

After trying a few other waxes and oils I've settled on Rustin's Danish Oil
to bring out the colour/grain with a EEE/Shellawax final polish for most
items and plain ol' Carnuba/Beeswax for items that need to be food-safe but
now that I've got these to play with, well...

- Ecowood Oil: Natural Wood Wipe

This claims to be food safe, but I'm not sure I like the smell... how
persistent is it? What about durability? I'm not particularly happy with
the Carnauba/Beeswax durability, but find it lasts longer than linseed or
vege oils. I'm still searching for something better here & although I know
Shellawax is foodsafe I dislike it by itself on most woods I use...

- Organoil: Natural Wax & Polish

I've often seen this on the shelves but haven't had reason to buy it; I'm
happy with my Danish/EEE combo. Reading the side of the jar, this seems to
me to be used in basically the same way as Shellawax, but I'm not sure
whether it'll go over Danish Oil. As it's a citrus oil/beeswax combo it may
be sufficient to bring out the colours by itself but, as I said above, in
general I'm disatisfied with waxes durability. Can Shellawax be safely
applied over it? I'm really only trying this out because it's here... who
knows, I may be converted.

The practical method, of course, is to try 'em and see but I'd rather have
some idea of what to expect now before trying to convince the cook to use
unknowns for a few weeks instead of her faves...

- Andy

Buddy Matlosz

- Organoil: Natural Wax & Polish

Not sure I'd be inclined to use a product called "Organoil". At least not on
a turning.

B.

Heated walnut oil is food safe (we eat the nuts!) and it is the only
food oil that hardens. Havn't tested it for durability, tho. Vege oils
are not reccomended.
On non-contact kitchen items, like bottle stoppers, I use poly. It's
the only thing I've found that will stand up to the dishwasher, where
everything winds up eventually despite warnings to the contrary.

Andy McArdle

- Organoil: Natural Wax & Polish

Not sure I'd be inclined to use a product called "Organoil". At least not

on
a turning.

B.

Most w/turning suppliers around here carry it as part of their regular stock
but I don't tend to put much faith in their salesmen's opinions. Apart, of
course, from a couple I know are also capable turners and I haven't had the
opportunity lately to chat with any of them.

- Andy

George

"Andy McArdle" wrote in message
u...
- Organoil: Natural Wax & Polish

Not sure I'd be inclined to use a product called "Organoil". At least

not
on
a turning.

B.

Most w/turning suppliers around here carry it as part of their regular

stock
but I don't tend to put much faith in their salesmen's opinions. Apart,

of
course, from a couple I know are also capable turners and I haven't had

the
opportunity lately to chat with any of them.

I think that shot went over your head. Who makes it - K-Y?

Member

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

The Organoil products have been favourably reviewed in Woodturning which I have always found to be honest in its views. ie if it things a product is no good it will say so.
In addition Aussie woodturning products have usually been good quality.

Let us know how you get on is you try some.
Andy McArdle

I think that shot went over your head. Who makes it - K-Y?

[sigh] Might stick my head thru the thicknesser so I don't feel so thick...

- Andy

kroil news.verizon.net Home Repair 7 April 21st 05 02:44 PM
OT-Carter Products celebrates 75 years serving the woodworking industry Carter Woodworking 23 June 18th 04 07:34 PM
FS: Semiconductor Data Books [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 April 28th 04 10:02 PM
Pre-cancelling mixer products (DAC sample selection) Hobbyist Electronics 1 November 22nd 03 07:34 PM
ML Campbell Finishing Products tailslid1 Woodworking 3 August 10th 03 04:30 AM