Arch

Default How can I erase the printing on pvc pipe?

I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Kevin

I worked in a PVC plant for about 3 years. The ink used there was permanent,
permanent in that solvent would take it off but also the glossy finish you
find alluring. Hmm, perhaps sanding followed by a gentle and well-monitored
Beale buffing?

"Arch" wrote in message
I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Lynn Coffelt

Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Tried removal on a couple of scrap pieces of different brands. With one
brand, alcohol cleaned it right off, and on the rest it did little good.
YMMV
Old Chief Lynn

George

"Arch" wrote in message
I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

I use acetone. Lacquer thinner, as mentioned, normally contains MEK, the
stuff used to cement the pipe.

Does take a bit of the gloss off, but not so bad that wax can't recover a
shine.

Not sure I'd power buff, either. A couple seconds of neglect would flow the
stuff beyond recovery.

Rusty Myers

Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

"Arch" wrote in message
I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Dan Bollinger

Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

Test it first. Many inks are fugitive. Meaning, they will bleed through.
Dan

Rusty Myers wrote:
Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

I agree. I have been using this stuff for a while, and it is great.
It even stick to polished aluminum with proper prep.

Robert