DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How can I erase the printing on pvc pipe? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/108752-how-can-i-erase-printing-pvc-pipe.html)

Arch June 2nd 05 09:02 PM

How can I erase the printing on pvc pipe?

I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Kevin June 2nd 05 10:12 PM

I worked in a PVC plant for about 3 years. The ink used there was permanent,
permanent in that solvent would take it off but also the glossy finish you
find alluring. Hmm, perhaps sanding followed by a gentle and well-monitored
Beale buffing?

Lynn Coffelt June 3rd 05 07:00 AM

Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

Turn to Safety, Arch

Tried removal on a couple of scrap pieces of different brands. With one
brand, alcohol cleaned it right off, and on the rest it did little good.
YMMV
Old Chief Lynn

George June 3rd 05 11:24 AM

"Arch" wrote in message
I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?
TIA.

I use acetone. Lacquer thinner, as mentioned, normally contains MEK, the
stuff used to cement the pipe.

Does take a bit of the gloss off, but not so bad that wax can't recover a
shine.

Not sure I'd power buff, either. A couple seconds of neglect would flow the
stuff beyond recovery.

Rusty Myers June 3rd 05 01:31 PM

Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

Dan Bollinger June 3rd 05 01:56 PM

Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

Test it first. Many inks are fugitive. Meaning, they will bleed through.
Dan

[email protected] June 3rd 05 06:37 PM

Rusty Myers wrote:
Try the Krylon Fusion paint. It is designed to stick to plastic. Just
paint over it. You can change colors that way too.

--
Rusty Myers
Austin, TX

I agree. I have been using this stuff for a while, and it is great.
It even stick to polished aluminum with proper prep.

Robert

Ecnerwal June 8th 05 01:09 AM

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

I want to extend the sockets and harps above the turned bodies of table
lamps. 12 in. lengths of white plastc tubing are available for this in a
lamp parts store, but I can buy 8 ft. of pvc pipe much cheaper. Can I
remove the printing on sch. 40 pvc without spoiling the glossy finish?

PVC pipe cleaner will remove it (step 1 in the 3 step "through" plastic
pipe joint - cleaner, then primer, then glue). Might also muck up the
finish a little - it's not supposed to attack the pipe (the primer does
that), but does seem to affect it somewhat. Well-ventilated area (the
stuff is all solvent). Perhaps that followed by the plastic paint? Or
just buff up the pipe on your Beall system to get the shine back?