Default Jet mini bearings help

After using the daylights out of my Jet mini for about six years
turning pens, large bowls, spoons, ornaments, etc., the headstock
bearings have finally gone out. They don't jiggle, but when they have
no load on them at all and the handwheel is turned you can feel how
rough it is.

I have searched the archives on this but come up dry on how to replace
them, and what to replace them with. I would like to replace with
Timken or equivalent from the bearings shop rather than a Chinese/Jet
set.

But I need some help on how to get them out (schematic?
instructions?)and what to buy. I know if I can get them out I can take
it down to the bearing shop and they can match them in a minute.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks to all.

Robert

robo hippy

When I had to replace the bearings on my PM 3520, I got the bearings,
and a new belt from a local bearing place, and had them installed for
about what Jet/Powermatic was going to charge me for the parts and
shipping.
robo hippy

Harry B. Pye

Owen,

There's a "wavy" washer between the wheel and the left bearing.

I also have a Delta Midi that is about 2 1/2 years old. It has developed an
intermittent screech in the headstock. I don't mean it doesn't always
screech but when it decides to screech the sound is intermittent. Putting it
to a count it is, screech, two, three, screech, two, three. I've used a
screwdriver as a stethoscope on the area of the bearings and heard nothing
unusual. The screech sounds like it is coming from the handwheel!

Two questions:

1. Is there really a wavy washer between the handwheel and the bearing on
the left? My instruction book contradicts itself on this.

2. Is it possible for the outer race of one of the bearings to be spinning
in the casting?

I called Delta and their best advice was to replace the bearings.

Thanks,

Harry

Owen Lowe

In article ps.com,
"Harry B. Pye" wrote:

There's a "wavy" washer between the wheel and the left bearing.

I also have a Delta Midi that is about 2 1/2 years old. It has developed an
intermittent screech in the headstock. I don't mean it doesn't always
screech but when it decides to screech the sound is intermittent. Putting it
to a count it is, screech, two, three, screech, two, three. I've used a
screwdriver as a stethoscope on the area of the bearings and heard nothing
unusual. The screech sounds like it is coming from the handwheel!

Two questions:

1. Is there really a wavy washer between the handwheel and the bearing on
the left? My instruction book contradicts itself on this.

2. Is it possible for the outer race of one of the bearings to be spinning
in the casting?

I called Delta and their best advice was to replace the bearings.

Hmmm. My instruction book and parts schematic show the washer between
the handwheel and the left bearing - my lathe has it assembled this way
too. The instructions for taking the spindle out are on p.14,15 of my
book - I can post pics of the pages if anyone wants them. Oh I'll just
do it anyway as it might help Robert with his Jet.

http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/midibearing_p1.JPG 165kb
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/misc/midibearing_p2.JPG 72kb
(Note: The "Replace Spindle Bearings" section only has 3 steps - none
were cut off.)

Your squealing might be a couple of things which I'd check before
replacing the bearings. Snug down the two set screws on the handwheel
and then snug the set screw on the step pulley. If that doesn't do it,
take all tension off the belt and run the motor to make sure it isn't
coming from there.

Owen:

Thanks a ton for the help. Your are correct... the Jet looks like the
twin to the Delta on the inside. Down to the "wavy washer". I haven't
taken it apart completely, but it sure looks the same.

I'll have a go at the replacement shortly. Thanks again for the info
and pics.

Robert