Harry B. Pye

Owen,

There's a "wavy" washer between the wheel and the left bearing.

I also have a Delta Midi that is about 2 1/2 years old. It has developed an
intermittent screech in the headstock. I don't mean it doesn't always
screech but when it decides to screech the sound is intermittent. Putting it
to a count it is, screech, two, three, screech, two, three. I've used a
screwdriver as a stethoscope on the area of the bearings and heard nothing
unusual. The screech sounds like it is coming from the handwheel!

Two questions:

1. Is there really a wavy washer between the handwheel and the bearing on
the left? My instruction book contradicts itself on this.

2. Is it possible for the outer race of one of the bearings to be spinning
in the casting?

I called Delta and their best advice was to replace the bearings.

Thanks,

Harry