Arch

Default Grits & Groans. Are paper grocery bags always 2000.063 grit?

It's occasionally mentioned here and elsewhere that various meshes,
steel wools, botanical reeds, wooden paddles, sweepings from covered
bridges...and brown paper bags are 'grits' equal to specific sanding
grits.

Are these equivalents determined by comparing abrasive effects,
microscopy, or what? Are the grits the same for each material and the
equivalents reasonably precise or do they vary widely according to which
'web authority' says so, which grocery store we prefer, and which way we
use the bags?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Ecnerwal

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

It's occasionally mentioned here and elsewhere that various meshes,
steel wools, botanical reeds, wooden paddles, sweepings from covered
bridges...and brown paper bags are 'grits' equal to specific sanding
grits.

Are these equivalents determined by comparing abrasive effects,
microscopy, or what? Are the grits the same for each material and the
equivalents reasonably precise or do they vary widely according to which
'web authority' says so, which grocery store we prefer, and which way we
use the bags?

Given that grits on sandpaper and sharpening stones have at least 2 or 3
different systems, starting from there leaves a lot of room for
misconstrusion, especially if your "web authority" does not specify
exactly which grit system they are comparing stuff to...much less what
basis of comparison they are using - they may not know, if their basis
of authority is some magazine article which they dare not mention since
they are pretending to be an authority, when they are actually just
parroting, and the magazine article may itself be parroting some other
source. A lot of that goes on, and myths as well as misconceptions get
continued that way.

Steel wools might be somewhat consistent, but reeds, paddles,
covered-bridge sweepings and brown paper bags are all likely to vary due
to differences in base material and specifics of
construction/growth/manufacture. Ferinstance, there is locally a clear
difference in texture (to the fingertip) between the brown bags at the
grocery store and the brown bags at the liquor store. Certainly I'd
expect quite a difference between basswood and teak for the wooden
paddle or handful of shavings, given both a difference in hardness and a
silica component in the teak. But I mostly just use sandpaper and Beall
buffs on bowls, and sandpaper and old rags on spindles. Whatever works
and makes you happy...
Joe Fleming

Early in my turning years, a guy told me the 2000 grit line. I used it
to burnish Christmas ornaments. I got over it.

Grocery bags have two problems: 1 - they don't grade the grit to any
standard I know. I doubt if the paper mills share their brown bag
recipes with each other to gain consistency. 2 - The grit of any one
bag is probably quite variable from the coarsest to the finest grits.
I pay good money to know that my 1000P paper is within +/- a few gritss
of that size.

Besides, brown bags suck for wet sanding.

Joe Fleming - SAn Diego

RonB

I don't care what grit they are. A rapid burnishing after sanding with 600
shines hardwood a bit more.

Owen Lowe

In article . com,
"Joe Fleming" wrote:

Besides, brown bags suck for wet sanding.

Don't try the white plastic ones either - makes a melted globby mess all
over yer just finished blackwood vase - not to mention the pain of
liquid plastic on yer digits.

George

"RonB" wrote in message
I don't care what grit they are. A rapid burnishing after sanding with

600
shines hardwood a bit more.

Yep, heating the surface will do that.

mac davis

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:05:18 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

snip
Steel wools might be somewhat consistent, but reeds, paddles,
covered-bridge sweepings and brown paper bags are all likely to vary due
to differences in base material and specifics of
construction/growth/manufacture. Ferinstance, there is locally a clear
difference in texture (to the fingertip) between the brown bags at the
grocery store and the brown bags at the liquor store.

snip

I've also noticed the difference in bags, some seem to be "slick" feeling... and
don't seem to be as absorbent as the "normal grocery bags that I store blanks
in..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:58:16 -0500, "RonB" wrote:

I don't care what grit they are. A rapid burnishing after sanding with 600
shines hardwood a bit more.

so will the paper back on sandpaper.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Leif Thorvaldson

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
Early in my turning years, a guy told me the 2000 grit line. I used it
to burnish Christmas ornaments. I got over it.

Grocery bags have two problems: 1 - they don't grade the grit to any
standard I know. I doubt if the paper mills share their brown bag
recipes with each other to gain consistency. 2 - The grit of any one
bag is probably quite variable from the coarsest to the finest grits.
I pay good money to know that my 1000P paper is within +/- a few gritss
of that size.

Besides, brown bags suck for wet sanding.

Joe Fleming - SAn Diego

====Anyone try the old GI toilet paper? Or would that be too
aggressive?*G*

Leif

Ken Moon

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
Early in my turning years, a guy told me the 2000 grit line. I used it
to burnish Christmas ornaments. I got over it.

SNIP......

Besides, brown bags suck for wet sanding.

Joe Fleming - SAn Diego

======================

Yeah! And for carrying boiled okra and tomato sandwiches!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Tom Storey

Anyone stationed in or who visited Germany in the 60's might remember their
toilet paper. I think it was about 100 grit equivalent. You didn't use or
need many swipes to get the job done! I think it was strong enough to get
the better of some wood.

Tom

====Anyone try the old GI toilet paper? Or would that be too
aggressive?*G*

Leif

Lobby Dosser

"Tom Storey" wrote:

Anyone stationed in or who visited Germany in the 60's might remember
their toilet paper. I think it was about 100 grit equivalent. You
didn't use or need many swipes to get the job done! I think it was
strong enough to get the better of some wood.

Then there was the British toilet paper of the same era: Super Glossy!

Tom

====Anyone try the old GI toilet paper? Or would that be too
aggressive?*G*

Leif

George

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Tom Storey" wrote:

Anyone stationed in or who visited Germany in the 60's might remember
their toilet paper. I think it was about 100 grit equivalent. You
didn't use or need many swipes to get the job done! I think it was
strong enough to get the better of some wood.

Then there was the British toilet paper of the same era: Super Glossy!

Soviet stuff was in the same league - where available. Since they printed
their newspapers with non-smearing ink, that was the norm.

Best thing to do with a copy of Pravda....

John Flatley

Grits with butter and a touch of red pepper! Love it.

Jack

--
Learn from the mistakes of others. Trust me, you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself. I've tried!!
"Arch" wrote in message
It's occasionally mentioned here and elsewhere that various meshes,
steel wools, botanical reeds, wooden paddles, sweepings from covered
bridges...and brown paper bags are 'grits' equal to specific sanding
grits.

Are these equivalents determined by comparing abrasive effects,
microscopy, or what? Are the grits the same for each material and the
equivalents reasonably precise or do they vary widely according to which
'web authority' says so, which grocery store we prefer, and which way we
use the bags?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Andrew Barss

Lobby Dosser wrote:

: Then there was the British toilet paper of the same era: Super Glossy!

In the current Harper's Magazine, there's a really amusing
series of quoted letters between various peo\ple in the British
health beurocracy, concerning the toilet paper issue. Apparently the
super glossy stuff (which wasn't absorpent) was chosen deliberately.
I always though it was cheapness, but that ain't it.

-- Andy Barss

mac davis

On Sat, 14 May 2005 03:42:54 GMT, "Tom Storey" wrote:

Anyone stationed in or who visited Germany in the 60's might remember their
toilet paper. I think it was about 100 grit equivalent. You didn't use or
need many swipes to get the job done! I think it was strong enough to get
the better of some wood.

Tom

====Anyone try the old GI toilet paper? Or would that be too
aggressive?*G*

Leif

my son is in the army now.. they call it "John Wayne TP" and buy their own..lol

damn.. I remember it coming with c-rations.. *sigh*