Prometheus

Default Follow up

Hello all,

To those of you who offered your advice regarding collecting deadfall
a while back- thanks again! I finally got around to getting out and
looking a bit, and discovered that the stuff wasn't that hard to
identify, as most of it was right next to the tree it fell off of.

Anyhow, I found a pretty decent hunk of spalted maple, and posted a
couple of pics of the first thing I turned out of it on ABPW under the
header "Found wood lamp", for anyone who is wondering how it turned
out.

Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Ken Moon

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Hello all,

SNIP ......
Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

==================

After you do this a few times, you'll find that "the lumber budget" will be
unnecessary except when you may want some specific exotic wood for a
project. But what can look more exotic than spalted maple??

Of course your budget for chain saw and accessories may grow! (:-)

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Dave in Fairfax

Ken Moon wrote:
After you do this a few times, you'll find that "the lumber budget" will be
unnecessary except when you may want some specific exotic wood for a
project. But what can look more exotic than spalted maple??
Of course your budget for chain saw and accessories may grow! (:-)

Gotta agree with that. All of it. Grab the HF chain sharpener
the next time they drop it to $29. It makes resharpening all
those darn chains much easier. Might want to invest in a spare
backyard to store the wood in too. And a grill to deal with the
stuff you just can't turn or cut off what what you want to turn.
You've got a BS, right %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Prometheus

Picture isn't that great, but it looks like nice maple, and a pleasing
shape, but I would not wait for the wood to dry, without giving the wood
some room to shrink and move or IT WILL SPLIT, drill a LARGE hole in the
bottom as far up as you dare, without going through the top, you can
later when the wood is dry install a plug.
That way you might get away without having the wood look like a nice
piece of firewood, and that would be a shame.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

To those of you who offered your advice regarding collecting deadfall
a while back- thanks again! I finally got around to getting out and
looking a bit, and discovered that the stuff wasn't that hard to
identify, as most of it was right next to the tree it fell off of.

Anyhow, I found a pretty decent hunk of spalted maple, and posted a
couple of pics of the first thing I turned out of it on ABPW under the
header "Found wood lamp", for anyone who is wondering how it turned
out.

Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Prometheus

On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:51:31 GMT, "Ken Moon"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
.. .
Hello all,

SNIP ......
Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

==================

After you do this a few times, you'll find that "the lumber budget" will be
unnecessary except when you may want some specific exotic wood for a
project. But what can look more exotic than spalted maple??

That may be true if turning was my main hobby, but I like making
furniture as well, so unless I get myself a sawmill, I'll still be
visiting the lumber yard.

Of course your budget for chain saw and accessories may grow! (:-)

That is true... I'm already considering a chainsaw to replace the bow
saw, in case I find any heavy burls, and I have discovered that I do
indeed want a chuck for my midi lathe. That's the way it goes, I
guess... so many great tools, so little money!

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Prometheus

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:03:07 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

Picture isn't that great, but it looks like nice maple, and a pleasing
shape, but I would not wait for the wood to dry, without giving the wood
some room to shrink and move or IT WILL SPLIT, drill a LARGE hole in the
bottom as far up as you dare, without going through the top, you can
later when the wood is dry install a plug.
That way you might get away without having the wood look like a nice
piece of firewood, and that would be a shame.

Yeah, unfortunately photography is a skill I have not been able to
learn well.... despite my best efforts. As far as the drying goes,
the log was dry as paper when I cut it (extremely light for maple),
and it's already been finished with the topcoat. As you might have
seen from the picture (or not, it wasn't a great photo) the log is
already split from fully drying in the woods. The drying I was
referring to was the poly on the surface- I didn't want to leave
prints in it or embed bits of sawdust in the partially cured surface
buy jumping the gun when sawing off the tenon.

I'll definately keep your advice in mind when I inevitably find a
piece of wet wood I want to turn, though!

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

To those of you who offered your advice regarding collecting deadfall
a while back- thanks again! I finally got around to getting out and
looking a bit, and discovered that the stuff wasn't that hard to
identify, as most of it was right next to the tree it fell off of.

Anyhow, I found a pretty decent hunk of spalted maple, and posted a
couple of pics of the first thing I turned out of it on ABPW under the
header "Found wood lamp", for anyone who is wondering how it turned
out.

Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Ken Moon

news
wrote:

SNIP..............
That may be true if turning was my main hobby, but I like making
furniture as well, so unless I get myself a sawmill, I'll still be
visiting the lumber yard.

Of course your budget for chain saw and accessories may grow! (:-)

That is true... I'm already considering a chainsaw to replace the bow
saw, in case I find any heavy burls, and I have discovered that I do
indeed want a chuck for my midi lathe. That's the way it goes, I
guess... so many great tools, so little money!

If you do get the chain saw you may want to take a look at one of the
Alaskan saw mill devices for slabbing lamber from fresh cut or fallen logs.
Also Woodcraft at one time carried a saw mill accessory for slabbing work,
but I don't know if they still do. If you do a lot of furniture, a sawmill
can pay for itself in a short time.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.