Mark Hancock

Default What is turning?

Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning was and
what is it really about?
Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL
--
Mark Hancock
http://www.markhancock.co.uk

DJ Delorie

"Mark Hancock" writes:
Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning
was and what is it really about?

Turning is using a machine to turn wood about an axis while a cutting
tool removes wood in an axially symmetric pattern. Techniques,
purposes, and creativity allow for a wide range of turnings.

Examples:
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/threebells/
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/turnings/
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects...reb-plate.html
http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/parallax-jig.html
robo hippy

Turning; You take a chunk of wood, attach it to a motor, and while it
spins, you have an aresnal of weapons that you use to carve the wood
into various shapes.
robo hippy

mac davis

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:00:51 +0100, "Mark Hancock"
wrote:

Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning was and
what is it really about?
Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL

Rotating a piece of wood, by hand, foot or motor, with the objective of making
fancy fire wood and kindling, while reducing the stress in your life...

of course, that's "wood turning" and there are several other types of turning,
including the practiced move you make as a nice looking lady walks by..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bruce Barnett

"Mark Hancock" writes:

Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning was and
what is it really about?
Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL

--------------------------+
| [] |
| |
| |
| wood moves, tool doesn't|
| |
| |
+-------------------------+

Arch

Bruce, that's a 'post of fame' response. Thanks! ROTFLMAO

(BTW, Not sure if you put enough postage for UK. Hope Mark gets your
postcard.)

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

mac davis

On 30 Apr 2005 11:41:08 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

"Mark Hancock" writes:

Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning was and
what is it really about?
Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL

--------------------------+
| [] |
| |
| |
| wood moves, tool doesn't|
| |
| |
+-------------------------+

at least that's the goal.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Gregory Moreton RPT

Why assume turning is about wood. Don't potters turn their pots?

I know a chap who turns b... great lumps of granite on a lathe using
carbide tipped tools. Just because he uses fork lift to mount his
blanks between centres dosen't stop what he does being turning. What
about metal turners ?

Bill Jones one of the most qualified and complete turners I know must
turn more plastic, bone and ivory than wood!

what is turning?

Does it have to be round to be turned?

Gregory Moreton RPT

Artist, Craftsman and turner in Wood

www.LearnToTurn.co.uk
Gregory Moreton RPT

Artist, Craftsman and turner in Wood

www.LearnToTurn.co.uk

Dave in Fairfax

Mark Hancock writes:
Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning was and
what is it really about? Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL

Bruce Barnett wrote:

--------------------------+
| [] |
| |
| |
| wood moves, tool doesn't|
| |
| |
+-------------------------+

mac davis wrote:
at least that's the goal.. lol

Anybody looked at his website? I kinda think that he knows what
turning is about. Now it looks like he's pretty good at trolling
too.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Dan Bollinger

A true, but somewhat narrow, definition. What about a pole lathe? No
motor! What about a treadle lathe? No motor! What about a lathe powered by
internal combustion engine or water wheel? No motor! Dan

Turning; You take a chunk of wood, attach it to a motor, and while it
spins, you have an aresnal of weapons that you use to carve the wood
into various shapes.
robo hippy

Dan Bollinger

Turning is using a machine to turn wood about an axis while a cutting
tool removes wood in an axially symmetric pattern. Techniques,
purposes, and creativity allow for a wide range of turnings.

What you describe is what Holtzapfel called 'simple turning.'

Ornamental turning is the other method, which include elliptical turning.
That is described as turning about TWO axii simultaneously. My oval lathe,
nearing completion, can turn about two, three, four, or more axii. Although
I only intend to do ovals. Dan

http://www.claycritters.com/lathe/
http://www.elliptical-turning-association.co.uk/
http://www.the-sot.com/
http://www.turners.org/

Henry

So the question is not a technical question it is an art question. When is
a turning a turning.

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Mark Hancock writes:
Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning

was and
what is it really about? Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL

Bruce Barnett wrote:

--------------------------+
| [] |
| |
| |
| wood moves, tool doesn't|
| |
| |
+-------------------------+

mac davis wrote:
at least that's the goal.. lol

Anybody looked at his website? I kinda think that he knows what
turning is about. Now it looks like he's pretty good at trolling
too.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Arch

Mark, the way your thread is unravelling no answer is too outlandish. So
as two turners from Verona would have it:

What is turning? What is it?
That all our addicts commend it?
Crafty, artful and fun is it;
The craft such pleasure did lend it.

IOW, turning is in the mind of the observer.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Dan Bollinger

So the question is not a technical question it is an art question. When
is
a turning a turning.

In that regard, the Wood Turning Center seems to take the broadest possible
definition. From what I can tell, they consider it a 'turning' if a lathe
(of any sort) played a pivotal role (couldn't resist the pun!) in the work's
creation.

http://www.woodturningcenter.org/

If you haven't done so recently, take a look. The WTC is doubling their
space. Their programs are strong and well received. If you are a serious
about turning, then join WTC.

Dan

DJ Delorie

Bruce Barnett writes:
Art is created by the mind moving. :-)

I thought Art was created by his parents.
gambier

Mark Hancock wrote:
Just got to wondering after reading some of the posts what turning

was and
what is it really about?
Answers on a postcard please. :-) LOL
--
Mark Hancock
http://www.markhancock.co.uk
South Wales ( until May 1st)
UK

Having seen some of your work I can quite understand how you are
getting confused about turning
Dave