Dr. Deb

Default Chuck Marks

I just finished turning a bowl 8" out of himalayan cedar (wonderful stuff
to turn and smells a lot like camphor wood) limb root piece. Bowl turned
nicely and have a bit of bark inclusion around the middle of the piece.

Being a fairly new turner, I decided to finally take the plunge and wad a
sock over my chuck, put the finished bowl over the sock and bring the tail
stock up against the tenon to part it off. Worked well, as you all know it
does. However, I left some marks in the bottom of the bowl. Not deep, but
looks like I did not sand all the gouge marks out of the bowl.

As I said the bowl is finished (shellac and wax). What is the best way to
polish out the marks out of the bowl bottom? I have a small (a 2" and a
3") sanding disk I could use. I was just wondering if there was a better
method before I hit it with the sanding disks.

Thanks

Deb
robo hippy

Dr. Deb,
Dents can often be removed, or at least lessened by steaming. On my
furniture pieces, I put a drop or two of water on the dent, and let it
sit for a minute or two. I have a small iron (left over from my model
plane making days) which is on medium heat. I put a drop or two of
water on a piece of soft cloth, put the damp spot on the dent, then
apply the iron. The resulting steam will pull up all smaller dents, and
most of the larger dents. Steam helps compressed fibers to expand.
Sometimes you have to steam it a couple of times, but it works better
than sanding the entire dent out. Of course there is still some sanding
and refinishing to do, but usually it is minimal.
robo hippy

Dr. Deb wrote:
[...]

George

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
[...]

Put some alcohol in the bottom. It's fairly polar, and should raise the
dents. Then, sadly, sand until you can't see the difference between
compressed and uncompressed areas.

In the future, you might want to consider spreading the load with a tapered
3/4 thick poplar or bass circle. Keep several sizes on hand to be gripped
in your chuck.

Or - use a dovetail for your hold, and you can have the bottom sanded and
finished before you even hollow.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Deb

Do I read this right?, you have still some sanding marks in the bottom
of your bowl, not marks made by your chuck, if that is the case, than I
would try to use hand sanding with the grain, I assume here, that
Himalayan cedar is not a very hard wood, and hand sanding would not be
that hard to do, hitting it with your sanding disk might make things
worse, just my thoughts on it.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

tony manella

Doc,
I don't put a sock over my chuck for jamming. I use a piece of soft scrap
wood (box elder) turned to the shape a small thick dish with a very rounded
lip. I place a piece of carpet padding over that then jam the bowl. I've
never had it leave a mark. Give this a try next time to avoid those marks.
Tony Manella