Default Longworth chuck

I've had some trouble getting a chuck for my Rockwell Beaver 46410.
The headstock is 7/8-14tpi. I made a Longworth chuck recently and
recommend it to others in the same boat. I've had a few people email
me looking for accessories for this lathe in the last year or two. I
have a short instructions page he

http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_longworth_chuck.php

Also, for those of you looking for a live center, click the gallery
link, then go to the lathe page. It describes modifying a tapered live
center to fit the threaded tailstock spindle.

As of this moment, the site appears to be down, but should be up again
shortly (I have the worst host on the planet).

Regards,
Shawn

Peter Hyde

In article .com,
wrote:

I've had some trouble getting a chuck for my Rockwell Beaver 46410.
The headstock is 7/8-14tpi. I made a Longworth chuck recently and
recommend it to others in the same boat. I've had a few people email
me looking for accessories for this lathe in the last year or two. I
have a short instructions page he

http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_longworth_chuck.php

Also, for those of you looking for a live center, click the gallery
link, then go to the lathe page. It describes modifying a tapered live
center to fit the threaded tailstock spindle.

As of this moment, the site appears to be down, but should be up again
shortly (I have the worst host on the planet).

Regards,
Shawn

Shawn
I have the Rockwell/Beaver 3400 lathe and an using a Oneway Talon bought
from Lee Valley. Came with adaptor for 7/8 x 14 headstock spindle.
My tailstock is a No1 morse taper so no problems getting aftermarket
stuff. Once again check out Lee Valley

--
meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Bill Thomas

I've had some trouble getting a chuck for my Rockwell Beaver 46410.
The headstock is 7/8-14tpi. I made a Longworth chuck recently and
recommend it to others in the same boat. I've had a few people email
me looking for accessories for this lathe in the last year or two. I
have a short instructions page he

http://www.glassgiant.com/misc_longworth_chuck.php

Also, for those of you looking for a live center, click the gallery
link, then go to the lathe page. It describes modifying a tapered live
center to fit the threaded tailstock spindle.

As of this moment, the site appears to be down, but should be up again
shortly (I have the worst host on the planet).

Regards,
Shawn

Greetings,

Thank you very much for an excellent set of pictures and
and instructions. They have answered some questions I have
had for years.

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas
L. Peter Stacey

I also made a Longworth chuck but when I looked at the basic design it
seemed to have one possible drawback. On the inside of work the chuck needs
to grip on expansion but, on the outside it must grip on compression. This
seemed to suggest a need for two chucks :-( Due to the normal lathe
rotation, depending on how the disks were assembled, it either gripped the
work harder or tended to loosen. (If the work was gripped on the inside (of
a bowl) or on the outside).
It occurred to me that if the centre boss was made to protrude to both sides
of one disk and the other disk has a hole a neat fit over the boss, the
second disk could be fitted on either side of the first disk and the
operation of the chuck could now be made to "self tighten" in the normal
lathe turning direction, irrespective of whether it was gripping the inside
or outside of the bowl or platter. In my case I made the centre hub/boss out
of steel and use the 'spare unused hub' section, to go into my normal scroll
chuck for easy mounting.
I realize that this may be a bit hard to visualize but think of one disk
having a hub (say 2" dia.) on both sides of it, long enough to suit the
thickness of the second disk. The second disk is a copy of the first, except
that instead of a hub in the centre it has a hole to suit the hub on the
other disk. This makes it possible to mount the second disk to either side
of the first, therefore changing the locking rotation of the Longworth
chuck. To make it easier to use I colour coded the four disk sides, so red
together is one position and yellow together is the other.
If anyone is interested I can supply pictures of my version.
Cheers,
,-._|\ Peter Stacey
/ Oz \ Melbourne Australia
\_,--.x/