Arch

Default Nova chuck thread?

I don't have a metric thread gage and I'm too lazy (read incompetent) to
measure. What size male thread is on a Nova chuck spindle adapter? (for
pc and to avoid chauvinism, what's the female thread size in the chuck
body?) TIA

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch

Guess the way I asked was tedious and/or inappropriate. I meant my query
to be less boring, but I obviously failed.

I hoped that someone had previously contacted Technatool or had measured
the thread in the Nova chuck body and would help me. I think the thread
and hole size must be special. I asked for help because I'm unable to
contact Technatool's service with WebTv. I'll ask again. This time with
no attempt at humor.

What is the hole size and thread in the body of a Nova chuck?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Roger

Arch wrote:
Guess the way I asked was tedious and/or inappropriate. I meant my query
to be less boring, but I obviously failed.

I hoped that someone had previously contacted Technatool or had measured
the thread in the Nova chuck body and would help me. I think the thread
and hole size must be special. I asked for help because I'm unable to
contact Technatool's service with WebTv. I'll ask again. This time with
no attempt at humor.

What is the hole size and thread in the body of a Nova chuck?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

It depends what lathe it was ordered for. Mine's a 1-1/2" x 8 tpi, but
that may not be what you want to know. I think later versions of the
Nova came with threaded inserts that would allow you to adapt the chuck
to different lathes. Is it the size and pitch of this insert thread you
are looking for? (in which case I'm sorry, I can't help, mine is a solid
body with no insert).

Roger
Arch

LD, nothing planned, I too have an inquiring mind that just wanted to
know. Sometimes a sip of knowledge can be useful, sometimes a dangerous
thing.

If Technatool wants us to know, I reckon they can shoot down conspiracy
theories by telling us if asked. If not, surely there are machinists on
rcw that can measure and tell....or would this be another ugly patent
infringement? Can private thread forms be patented? More likely just
kept as an in-house secret as in olde and early new England shops.

BTW, do any of you N.Z. turners know the answer and if it is a standard
thread there. 1 1/4 X 8 may not be standard, but it's no secret either.?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Ken Moon

"Arch" wrote in message
LD, nothing planned, I too have an inquiring mind that just wanted to
know. Sometimes a sip of knowledge can be useful, sometimes a dangerous
thing.

If Technatool wants us to know, I reckon they can shoot down conspiracy
theories by telling us if asked. If not, surely there are machinists on
rcw that can measure and tell....or would this be another ugly patent
infringement? Can private thread forms be patented? More likely just
kept as an in-house secret as in olde and early new England shops.

BTW, do any of you N.Z. turners know the answer and if it is a standard
thread there. 1 1/4 X 8 may not be standard, but it's no secret either.?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

===============================

If the question is more than a passing curiosity, all one needs to determine
the size and pitch is a dial caliper and a screw pitch gauge. Both can be
purchased from Harbor Freight for under $20.00 USD, or from any machinist
supply for significantly more. (:-) Anyway, most of that price is for the
caliper, which you will have many uses for in turning. The pitch gauge is a
"nice to have" item. The pitch can also be determined by counting the number
of threads in a given distance and converting to TPI. Of course, the whole
thing could be metric, thus complicating the conversion. {:-(

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX