Mark

Default Cutting curves.

I'd like to make some shelves to fit right into the corner of a room.

But, rather than just having them a triangular shape, I'd like the
part that isn't against the walls to be an arc...so the entire shelf
is a sort of quarter-cirle shape.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can cut four of five of these to look
identical with very smooth edges?

Thanks,
Mark.

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to make some shelves to fit right into the corner of a room.

But, rather than just having them a triangular shape, I'd like the
part that isn't against the walls to be an arc...so the entire shelf
is a sort of quarter-cirle shape.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can cut four of five of these to look
identical with very smooth edges?

A router with a radius arm or ellipse cutting jig will give the best
results.

Colin Bignell

David W.E. Roberts

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
I'd like to make some shelves to fit right into the corner of a room.

But, rather than just having them a triangular shape, I'd like the
part that isn't against the walls to be an arc...so the entire shelf
is a sort of quarter-cirle shape.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can cut four of five of these to look
identical with very smooth edges?

Thanks,
Mark.

For the less well equiped try drawing round a dinner plate to get your
curve, then cutting the curve with a jigsaw.

If you are good with a jigsaw then you will get smooth curves.
If not, a lot of sanding will be required :-)

HTH
Dave R

Paul Hewish

Hi Mark

It depends on what sort of workshop kit you have & whether you want concave
or convex curves.

Assuming you've already got the sheet material & want convex
Basic hand tools:
Draw circle with trammel (pencil, stick & panel pin) to size
Divide circle into 4 segments - line through centre then another at 90
degrees (use a sheet of newspaper to get a 90 degree angle if you haven't
got a large try-square)
Saw (using a panel saw) into 4 along previous lines then saw off the corners
Saw (using a coping saw) to get curve
Sand smooth

Basic power tools:
Mark-out as above
Cut circle with power jig saw
Cut into 4
Sand smooth with maybe hand-held belt/orbital sander

Decent workshop:
Mark-out as above
Using circle-cutting jig on bandsaw cut out complete circle
Using belt sanding maching smooth edge
Using circular-saw along clamped straight-edge cut into 4

Once you've got the 4 quadrant shelves scribe them into the wall.

If you haven't yet got the sheet material get the timber yard to cut the
circle on their bandsaw.

Paul