john Smith

Default How much to chrome plate?

Hello,

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

And they wanted them for 2-3 weeks

a bit excessive I thought.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
john Smith wrote:
How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

And they wanted them for 2-3 weeks

a bit excessive I thought.

It's quite usual for it to cost more to have something plated than the new
cost of one factory made.

Assuming the ones you have are new, and brass, the lacquer will have to be
removed and the metal polished - all very labour intensive. If they are
already chrome plated which needs re-doing - or old brass - this just adds
to the work.

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:44:31 GMT, "john Smith"
wrote:

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

One handle. £50

Five handles £50

Fifty handles £50

Fifty thousand handles, £50/hundred

It's also hard work to have things re-chromed - the work is simpler
and generally better to have them done on new materials.

Talk to a motorbike restoration shop. They'll know who is a decent
plater and who isn't, and who's friendliest to small orders.

If nickel plate will do you, then Caswell sell a pretty good and very
simple electroless nickel kit for about £50

john Smith

If nickel plate is the stuff that is not shiny, then yes, that is actually
what I want.

I was also thining about spraying them with silver smoothrite, and then
giving them a final coating of a clear laquer.

Any ideas what this may look like ????????

wrote:

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

One handle. £50

Five handles £50

Fifty handles £50

Fifty thousand handles, £50/hundred

It's also hard work to have things re-chromed - the work is simpler
and generally better to have them done on new materials.

Talk to a motorbike restoration shop. They'll know who is a decent
plater and who isn't, and who's friendliest to small orders.

If nickel plate will do you, then Caswell sell a pretty good and very
simple electroless nickel kit for about £50

nightjar

"john Smith" wrote in message
If nickel plate is the stuff that is not shiny, then yes, that is actually
what I want.

Nickel is more yellow than chrome and less durable. It is usually used as an
undercoat to chrome and, on the best work, is itself undercoated with
copper. If you don't want it shiny, chrome is available as a matt finish.

For a one-off including preparation, the quotes you have seem quite
reasonable.

Colin Bignell

raden

In message , john Smith
writes
Hello,

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

And they wanted them for 2-3 weeks

Chrome plating has become a lot more expensive since the introduction of
very stiff EU laws

--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

"john Smith" wrote in message

If nickel plate is the stuff that is not shiny, then yes, that is actually
what I want.

Nickel is more yellow than chrome and less durable. It is usually used as an
undercoat to chrome and, on the best work, is itself undercoated with
copper. If you don't want it shiny, chrome is available as a matt finish.

I actually think its more durable.

And a nicer color.

Used a lot on musical instruments is nickel plating.

Yer banjo would most likely be nickel plated, for example...

For a one-off including preparation, the quotes you have seem quite
reasonable.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

"john Smith" wrote in message

If nickel plate is the stuff that is not shiny, then yes, that is
actually what I want.

Nickel is more yellow than chrome and less durable. It is usually used as
an undercoat to chrome and, on the best work, is itself undercoated with
copper. If you don't want it shiny, chrome is available as a matt finish.

I actually think its more durable.

Chromium is both harder and more chemical resistant than nickel. Its main
failing is that it is brittle, which means it will flake if used on a base
that can flex. That, however, is a failure of the design, rather than of the
plating.

Colin Bignell

Yekal

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

If this is the sam place I had some motorbike parts plated they did a crap
job, it didn`t last long and peeled off in parts.
And they wanted them for 2-3 weeks

a bit excessive I thought.

raden

In message , Yekal
writes

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

If this is the sam place I had some motorbike parts plated they did a crap
job, it didn`t last long and peeled off in parts.

Poor preparation then

--
geoff

patrick j

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:00:38 +0100, nightjar wrote
(in message ):

Chromium is both harder and more chemical resistant than nickel. Its main
failing is that it is brittle, which means it will flake if used on a base
that can flex. That, however, is a failure of the design, rather than of the
plating.

Years ago I think I read somewhere that chrome is porous and so if used alone
on steel/iron it will rust eventually. Nickel plating IIRC, is not porous and
so can be used to protect steel/iron more successfully. The best thing IIRC
for parts of cars/motorcycles being restored was to nickel plate and then
chrome plate on top of that.

Anyway I could have remembered this completely wrongly so someone with more
knowledge than me would be able to clarify the thing

Personally I've never had anything chrome plated but if I did want to chrome
plate something I think I'd enquire with classic car/motorcycle restoration
people because they do it a lot. There is very likely a newsgroup for classic
vehicle restoration or something. Might be worth a try.

--
Patrick

nightjar

"patrick j" wrote in message
. com...
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 16:00:38 +0100, nightjar wrote
(in message ):

Chromium is both harder and more chemical resistant than nickel. Its main
failing is that it is brittle, which means it will flake if used on a
base
that can flex. That, however, is a failure of the design, rather than of
the
plating.

Years ago I think I read somewhere that chrome is porous and so if used
alone
on steel/iron it will rust eventually. Nickel plating IIRC, is not porous
and
so can be used to protect steel/iron more successfully. The best thing
IIRC
for parts of cars/motorcycles being restored was to nickel plate and then
chrome plate on top of that.

Copper / nickel / chrome is the traditional system. Copper to adhere well
and to give a good base for the nickel, nickel to provide a flexible white
base and chrome to protect the nickel from discolouration. You can get
nickel plating solutions that adhere without the copper coat, but IME if you
want a really durable finish, you still have to have the copper undercoat,
even on brass.

Personally I've never had anything chrome plated but if I did want to
chrome
plate something I think I'd enquire with classic car/motorcycle
restoration
people because they do it a lot. There is very likely a newsgroup for
classic
vehicle restoration or something. Might be worth a try.

It is not too difficult to find platers who do chromium plating, although
the toxicity of the chemicals used, and the consequent problems of disposal,
means that the number is reducing.

Colin Bignell

Yekal

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Yekal
writes

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

How much is it to have things chrome plated.

I have 3 pairs of external door handles, that have holes in for mortice
locks.

How much is to have them chrome plated.

I was quoted £15 each...........thats £90 from a place in salford
manchester.

If this is the sam place I had some motorbike parts plated they did a

crap
job, it didn`t last long and peeled off in parts.

Poor preparation then

This company said chroming was a job they do all the time and did all the
prep and finish, two of the items were spoilt, as they were made of alloy
and came back partly disolved.

--
geoff