Junior Member

Default Not another aircon question!

Hi Guys

I've got a question on a split aircon system that im thinking of installing, in my semi detached upstairs main bedroom. I've been using a portable unit in there for some years, but its time to decorate, and get rid if that eye (and ear sore)

With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside' unit, cant be be mounted in the loft void? Obv i would make sure the unit can drain the excess water away. Two reason I'd like to place it there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of the house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount a 50/75Kg unit that high up.

Any ideas?

Regards

Rob
Tony Bryer

In article , Spacerat wrote:
With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside'
unit, cant be be mounted in the loft void?

Given how hot lofts can get in the summer (just when you're using
the A/C) wouldn't it struggle to get rid of the heat?

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Christopher Key

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , Spacerat wrote:
With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside'
unit, cant be be mounted in the loft void?

Given how hot lofts can get in the summer (just when you're using
the A/C) wouldn't it struggle to get rid of the heat?

I've no idea of the specifics of aircon units, but couldn't it be arranged
to draw air from and vent to outside?

Chris Key

Sparks

Given how hot lofts can get in the summer (just when you're using
the A/C) wouldn't it struggle to get rid of the heat?

I've no idea of the specifics of aircon units, but couldn't it be arranged
to draw air from and vent to outside?

The fan on my split unit as about 50cms across (from memory) so you would
need either a very large hole, or a smaller one with a higher flow rate
(That would probably be noisy!)

Just by thoughts!

Sparks...

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Spacerat writes:
With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside' unit,
cant be be mounted in the loft void?

Besides the other points, you probably don't want the vibration
it is likely to generate feeding into the house structure.

Obv i would make sure the unit
can drain the excess water away.

That's generated by the inside unit (maybe yours then pumps it
to the outside unit to trickle down the outside of the condensor).

Two reason I'd like to place it
there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of the
house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount a
50/75Kg unit that high up.

I don't suppose getting it into a loft is going to be easy either?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Doctor Evil

"Spacerat" wrote in message

Hi Guys

I've got a question on a split aircon system that im thinking of
installing, in my semi detached upstairs main bedroom. I've been using
a portable unit in there for some years, but its time to decorate, and
get rid if that eye (and ear sore)

With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside' unit,
cant be be mounted in the loft void? Obv i would make sure the unit
can drain the excess water away. Two reason I'd like to place it
there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of the
house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount a
50/75Kg unit that high up.

Do you actually need one? Installing 12" of insulation in the loft and
sealing up all holes with silicon (cables, and pipes, etc), will prevent
heat from comming down from the loft. In the loft put an extract fan with a
grill in the bedroom ceiling. This will take away excess heat where it
accumulates, which is at the ceiling. The hot air which stays under the
ceiling heats the ceiling up and radiates heat back down. Insulation and a
small fan are very effective.

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
tony sayer

Do you actually need one? Installing 12" of insulation in the loft and
sealing up all holes with silicon (cables, and pipes, etc), will prevent
heat from comming down from the loft. In the loft put an extract fan with a
grill in the bedroom ceiling. This will take away excess heat where it
accumulates, which is at the ceiling. The hot air which stays under the
ceiling heats the ceiling up and radiates heat back down. Insulation and a
small fan are very effective.

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

No doubt at all Dr Evil is deffo IMM.

He is the only one who'd answer like this!.

Aircon.. red flag to a bull.....

--
Tony Sayer

Guy Dawson

Doctor Evil wrote:

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

Except perhaps the summer of 2003 when the ambient air temprature was 30C.

We sat in a paddling pool and drank cold beer. Worked for us!

Guy
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson @ SMTP - // ICBM - 6.15.16W 57.12.23N 986M
4.45.4 4.45.4 4.45.4 The Reality Check's in the Post! 4.45.4 4.45.4
Doctor Evil

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

Except perhaps the summer of 2003
when the ambient air temprature was 30C.

The temperature in a well insulated house with proper shading was a lot less
than 30C, more like 23C.

Those you have house that are too hot can make them very comfortable by
doing some simple cost effective measure

We sat in a paddling pool and drank cold beer. Worked for us!

Nice way to cope.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
raden

In message , Guy Dawson
writes
Doctor Evil wrote:

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

Except perhaps the summer of 2003 when the ambient air temprature was 30C.

FFS ...

In the hottest day in the UK, it was two degrees higher in Belgium ...

where I was laying a concrete base for a greenhouse for my sister in law

We did get through the beer though

--
geoff

Spacerat wrote:
[...]

when will you folks learn about earthpipes.

NT

Ian_m

Hi Guys

I've got a question on a split aircon system that im thinking of
installing, in my semi detached upstairs main bedroom. I've been using
a portable unit in there for some years, but its time to decorate, and
get rid if that eye (and ear sore)

With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside' unit,
cant be be mounted in the loft void? Obv i would make sure the unit
can drain the excess water away. Two reason I'd like to place it
there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of the
house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount a
50/75Kg unit that high up.

My mate had his split AC fitted to his bedroom, basically the outside bit
has to be outside in order to get enough air-flow. I think it is located on
the side of the house so not in the sun and where it generates least
annoyance. Also the outside bit generates condensate (actually pumped from
the inside) and this required a small pipe to a gutter to get rid of the
water. Was fitted professionally with quick release fittings through the
window frame enabling the inside unit to be put away when not needed.

He originally had one of these units that need topping up with water and
vent through a large pipe, but they continually need filling with water and
you need a window open to vent out of, thus letting warm air in. He did try
piping up to loft and out via soffit, so window did not need to be open, but
suffered from condensation running back into the air-conditioner and getting
the carpet wet.

Doctor Evil

wrote in message
ups.com...
Spacerat wrote:
Hi Guys

I've got a question on a split aircon system that im thinking of
installing, in my semi detached upstairs main bedroom. I've been

using
a portable unit in there for some years, but its time to decorate,

and
get rid if that eye (and ear sore)

With a split systems, is there any reason why the main 'outside'

unit,
cant be be mounted in the loft void? Obv i would make sure the unit
can drain the excess water away. Two reason I'd like to place it
there, is to save having an ugly looking unit on the outside of the
house, and as i plan to DIY install, not sure safely carry/mount a
50/75Kg unit that high up.

Any ideas?

when will you folks learn about earthpipes.

That is stretching it a little for most of them. They only think of
machines, machines to heat, machines to cool. Harmonising with nature is
alien to most people these days.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Guy Dawson
writes
Doctor Evil wrote:

Also have blinds on the windows to prevent any solar gain. No need for
expensive to install and run a/c in the UK, if you tackle it properly.

Except perhaps the summer of 2003 when the ambient air temprature was

30C.

FFS ...

In the hottest day in the UK, it was two degrees higher in Belgium ...

where I was laying a concrete base for a greenhouse for my sister in law

We did get through the beer though

Maxie, did you have Dim Lin the, Oriental enchantress, on the barrow?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Split system aircon question Geoff UK diy 10 January 14th 05 11:35 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM