nightjar

Default What's French for tool hire shop?

I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Colin Bignell

William McNicol

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

What's wrong with clicking on the Union Jack on
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr and then looking for 'tool hire' ?

Colin Bignell

Bonne chance,

William.

--
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day
give him a dictionary and he will know the meaning of life.
nightjar

"William McNicol" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop
down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in
the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody
know?

What's wrong with clicking on the Union Jack on
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr and then looking for 'tool hire' ?

Only that I hadn't come across that site before. A very useful utility and
it lists several in my area. Thank you.

Colin Bignell

Roger Wareham

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Some Bricomarché stores do tool hire - "location d'outillage" or
"location d'outils". The latter brings up 27000 hits on Google.

If there's nothing on Google or in Yellow Pages, try asking the
neighbours or in the local Mairie or tourist office. The local DIY
stores or builders merchants may point you in the right direction -
especially if you are buying some of the materials from them.

Hope this helps,

Roger.
nightjar

"Roger Wareham" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:

I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop
down there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up
in the phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so
anybody know?

Some Bricomarché stores do tool hire - "location d'outillage" or "location
d'outils". The latter brings up 27000 hits on Google.

If there's nothing on Google or in Yellow Pages, try asking the neighbours
or in the local Mairie or tourist office. The local DIY stores or builders
merchants may point you in the right direction - especially if you are
buying some of the materials from them.

Thanks. The French is what I was expecting, but there is nothing in those
categories in my local phone book, so I thought there might be a special
phrase I didn't know. The French on-line pages jaune have given me several
useful places in my area. I had wondered about my local Castorama, which
appears there, but it has only just opened and I've not yet explored it all.

Colin Bignell

Alan

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody
know?

Colin Bignell

Why not buy one - they are cheap enough - especially in France. I bought a
few 4.5" ones last time I was there for about £7 each.
Bigger ones were cheap also....

Alan.

nightjar

"Alan" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
I have a job in France that will need an angle grinder, a tool I usually
hire in the UK. Planning it, I realised I'd not seen a tool hire shop down
there andI don't know what they are called, so I can't look them up in the
phone book. Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody
know?

Colin Bignell

Why not buy one - they are cheap enough - especially in France. I bought a
few 4.5" ones last time I was there for about £7 each.
Bigger ones were cheap also....

I have an aversion to buying tools that I'm only going to use once. I don't
use an angle grinder very often in the UK and I do a lot more DIY here than
I do over there.

Colin Bignell

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "nightjar"
wrote:

I have an aversion to buying tools that I'm only going to use once.

Even a £7 angle grinder ? I've spent more than that on some disks for
it.

My angle grinders are some of my most hard-working tools. I will
cheerfully spend £100 for one. I also have some £9 ones (haven't
found a £7 yet) which are "disposables" for cutting dusty cement-based
boards that I know will be damaging to a decent tool.

Angle grinders are handy things to have around. Splash out the £7 and
have one ready for the future.

nightjar

wrote:

I have an aversion to buying tools that I'm only going to use once.

Even a £7 angle grinder ? I've spent more than that on some disks for
it.

If they really are that cheap, I might consider buying one. A small disk
version will suit this job best and it only needs to last about half an
hour.

My angle grinders are some of my most hard-working tools. I will
cheerfully spend £100 for one. I also have some £9 ones (haven't
found a £7 yet) which are "disposables" for cutting dusty cement-based
boards that I know will be damaging to a decent tool.

Angle grinders are handy things to have around. Splash out the £7 and
have one ready for the future.

This will be the third time in my life I've needed to use one. It will
likely have rusted solid by the time I need it again.

Colin Bignell

Andy Dingley

wrote:

This will be the third time in my life I've needed to use one

Third time you've _realised_ you needed one.

Peter Parry

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:23:25 -0000, "nightjar"
wrote:

Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Location d'outils/Location et vente?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
nightjar

wrote:

Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Location d'outils/Location et vente?

That was what I was expecting, but they just aren't shown as such in my
local phone book.

Colin Bignell

Holly in France

wrote:

Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Location d'outils/Location et vente?

That was what I was expecting, but they just aren't shown as such in my
local phone book.

It's under 'Location de materiel pour entrepreneurs' in our phone book. No
idea why they feel one should be an entrepreneur :-) Some places though
will only hire certain tools to 'professionals', by which they seem to mean
anyone with a registered business, regardless of whether they actually know
how to use the tool or not! They also give a 15% discount, sometimes a bit
more, and require less of a security deposit for businesses, so if you know
anyone with a business perhaps they could help you out? You might also find
you can buy a cheap angle grinder for the same price as you can hire a
decent one. We have price lists for a couple of places somewhere, let me
know if you want me to look it up, no idea offhand if angle grinders are on
the lists.

HTH

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne
nightjar

wrote:

Nothing lited under 'Location' looks promising, so anybody know?

Location d'outils/Location et vente?

That was what I was expecting, but they just aren't shown as such in my
local phone book.

It's under 'Location de materiel pour entrepreneurs' in our phone book.

I wondered what that meant :-)

... We have price lists for a couple of places somewhere, let me
know if you want me to look it up, no idea offhand if angle grinders are
on
the lists.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be able to check it out first hand in a few
weeks' time. I just didn't want to have to pack one in my suitcase. I'm
putting an orbital sander in as it is, although that is only because I have
one spare and it seems a waste to have that in the UK when I come to do the
shutters.

Colin Bignell

Magician

Hi Colin

You will find very few hire shops in France or indeed Europe. HSS did
try a few years ago to establish a foothold, as have A Plant neither
had much success.

Dave

Mike

"Magician" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Colin

You will find very few hire shops in France or indeed Europe. HSS did
try a few years ago to establish a foothold, as have A Plant neither
had much success.

Some Castoramas have (or used to have) a small hire area for trade.

Holly in France

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:52:23 -0000, Mike wrote:

"Magician" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Colin

You will find very few hire shops in France or indeed Europe. HSS did
try a few years ago to establish a foothold, as have A Plant neither
had much success.

Some Castoramas have (or used to have) a small hire area for trade.

There are hire shops all over the place in industrial estates in large
towns. Three pages of them in the Dordogne yellow pages. A small one has
opened near here recently, and we are out in the sticks. Methinks Magician
hasn't looked very hard :-)