Old March 14th 05, 01:04 AM
Bedouin

Default Best thin insulation

What's the best thin insulation available?

I need to find thin insulation (5-6mm) suitable for sticking (using
waterproof glue) to a gently curved surface. This is in a situation
where energy is in very short supply so every little improvement helps.
I expected to be able to find PUR/PIR closed cell foam in roll form
but no luck.

Old March 14th 05, 01:22 AM
The Natural Philosopher

Bedouin wrote:

What's the best thin insulation available?

I need to find thin insulation (5-6mm) suitable for sticking (using
waterproof glue) to a gently curved surface. This is in a situation
where energy is in very short supply so every little improvement helps.
I expected to be able to find PUR/PIR closed cell foam in roll form but
no luck.

Ah. If you key in 'depron' on an ebay sarch, someone is selling depron
sheet (expanded polyproplyene) in small quantites. 3mm and 5mm thick.
Use water based contact adhesive (copydex?)

Polystryene sheet is also available, at builders mercahnts, as are cork
sheet and bubble wrap, Mock not, these all work.

you can strip standard EPS foam with a hot wire or indeed a wood saw if
you don't mind a bit of mess.

Old March 14th 05, 08:57 AM
Lobster

Bedouin wrote:
What's the best thin insulation available?

I was trying to spec some thin insulation recently and a structural
engineer mentioned something called "Tri-Iso Super 9", about which I
know nothing other than it's pretty expensive, so I didn't go any
further - others here may know something about it?

David
Old March 14th 05, 10:17 AM
Christian McArdle

I need to find thin insulation (5-6mm) suitable for sticking (using
waterproof glue) to a gently curved surface. This is in a situation
where energy is in very short supply so every little improvement helps.
I expected to be able to find PUR/PIR closed cell foam in roll form
but no luck.

You can get celotex down to 12mm. I take it this is still too thick?

Christian

Old March 14th 05, 10:32 AM
fred

In article , Lobster
writes
Bedouin wrote:
What's the best thin insulation available?

I was trying to spec some thin insulation recently and a structural
engineer mentioned something called "Tri-Iso Super 9", about which I
know nothing other than it's pretty expensive, so I didn't go any
further - others here may know something about it?

It's ****, avoid.

Sorry, to elaborate:
It relies on being fitted precisely in the middle of two 1" closed air pockets
in order to work; it is thin material but not an insulating medium for use in
limited spaces. It works mainly by limiting heat transfer by radiation but
then claims to "seal roofs against wind and damp, whilst retaining
ventilation" without mentioning that where the outer pocket is ventilated the
product will perform less effectively since heat will be lost by convection
instead of radiation.

Maybe have a read between the lines in the brochu
http://www.kensaengineering.com/pdf/79.pdf (209k pdf)

IMO, avoid foil based insulation systems, other types (foam based, celotex
etc) are more likely to achieve the claimed insulation performance over the
life of the property.
--
fred

Old March 14th 05, 11:13 AM
nog

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:32:42 GMT, fred wrote:

IMO, avoid foil based insulation systems, other types (foam based, celotex
etc) are more likely to achieve the claimed insulation performance over the
life of the property.

Wouldn't a foil component (IOW not relying totally on the foil) improve the
effectiveness of a thin insulating medium?
Old March 14th 05, 11:42 AM
fred

In article , nog
writes
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:32:42 GMT, fred wrote:

IMO, avoid foil based insulation systems, other types (foam based, celotex
etc) are more likely to achieve the claimed insulation performance over the
life of the property.

Wouldn't a foil component (IOW not relying totally on the foil) improve the
effectiveness of a thin insulating medium?

'Fraid not, certainly not if in contact with other materials. Foil is an effective
vapour barrier but achieves heat blocking by inhibiting radiation only. If it is
in contact with any material (insulator or otherwise) the heat loss is by
conduction and not radiation so there is no benefit.
--
fred
Old March 14th 05, 12:11 PM
nog

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:42:34 GMT, fred wrote:

In article , nog
writes
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:32:42 GMT, fred wrote:

IMO, avoid foil based insulation systems, other types (foam based, celotex
etc) are more likely to achieve the claimed insulation performance over the
life of the property.

Wouldn't a foil component (IOW not relying totally on the foil) improve the
effectiveness of a thin insulating medium?

'Fraid not, certainly not if in contact with other materials. Foil is an effective
vapour barrier but achieves heat blocking by inhibiting radiation only. If it is
in contact with any material (insulator or otherwise) the heat loss is by
conduction and not radiation so there is no benefit.

Ah yes, I see your point. Thanks.
Old March 14th 05, 02:33 PM
rockdoctor

Lobster wrote in message ...
Bedouin wrote:
What's the best thin insulation available?

I was trying to spec some thin insulation recently and a structural
engineer mentioned something called "Tri-Iso Super 9", about which I
know nothing other than it's pretty expensive, so I didn't go any
further - others here may know something about it?

David

My mate converted his loft, and wanted to preserve the view of the
original beams on the ceiling. To avoid filling the gaps completely he
had to use the Tri-iso Super 9 stuff. Seems to have worked - the loft
is toasty and the beams look good. He said the stuff was pricey but
glad he paid.
Old March 14th 05, 08:26 PM
Mike

"Bedouin" wrote in message
k...
What's the best thin insulation available?

I need to find thin insulation (5-6mm) suitable for sticking (using
waterproof glue) to a gently curved surface. This is in a situation
where energy is in very short supply so every little improvement helps.
I expected to be able to find PUR/PIR closed cell foam in roll form
but no luck.

Couldn't you spray it with foam then sand down to the required shape ?