Martin Evans

Default Haet loss calculator

Has anyone got a link/source of a decent (preferably free) heat loss
calculator?

Myson used to have one but its no longer on their website.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:58:16 +0000, Martin Evans
wrote:

Has anyone got a link/source of a decent (preferably free) heat loss
calculator?

Myson used to have one but its no longer on their website.

Send me an email and I'll send you the Myson one.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tony Bryer

In article , Martin Evans wrote:
Has anyone got a link/source of a decent (preferably free) heat
loss calculator?

The Heating and Hot Water Information Council do one for £15 -
I've not used it myself

http://www.centralheating.co.uk/inde...&con_id=552 5

Lobster

Martin Evans wrote:
Has anyone got a link/source of a decent (preferably free) heat loss
calculator?

From my 'favourites' list (culled from this ng on a previous mention
IIRC, but not used by me yet!):
http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

David
Tony Bryer

In article , Lobster wrote:
From my 'favourites' list (culled from this ng on a previous mention
IIRC, but not used by me yet!):
http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

"This software is for PC only and requires Microsoft Windows 3.1 or
later"

Suggests it hasn't been updated for a while (which may or may
not be relevant to its usefulness)

Andy Hall

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:43:40 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Lobster wrote:
From my 'favourites' list (culled from this ng on a previous mention
IIRC, but not used by me yet!):
http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

"This software is for PC only and requires Microsoft Windows 3.1 or
later"

Suggests it hasn't been updated for a while (which may or may
not be relevant to its usefulness)

It's reasonable, but some of the U values are wrong and need to be
updated from the building regulations figures. Although these might
have been altered to help meet Kyoto commitments of course..... I
would cross check again.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Stumbles

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:43:40 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Lobster wrote:

From my 'favourites' list (culled from this ng on a previous mention
IIRC, but not used by me yet!):
http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

"This software is for PC only and requires Microsoft Windows 3.1 or
later"

Suggests it hasn't been updated for a while (which may or may
not be relevant to its usefulness)

It's reasonable, but some of the U values are wrong and need to be
updated from the building regulations figures. Although these might
have been altered to help meet Kyoto commitments of course..... I
would cross check again.

You can do it on a spreadsheet (or paper and calculator, abacus or
fingers[1])

[1] toes may also be required for some values
Andy Hall

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:32:32 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:43:40 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Lobster wrote:

From my 'favourites' list (culled from this ng on a previous mention
IIRC, but not used by me yet!):
http://www.barlo.co.uk/downloads_heatloss.php

"This software is for PC only and requires Microsoft Windows 3.1 or
later"

Suggests it hasn't been updated for a while (which may or may
not be relevant to its usefulness)

It's reasonable, but some of the U values are wrong and need to be
updated from the building regulations figures. Although these might
have been altered to help meet Kyoto commitments of course..... I
would cross check again.

You can do it on a spreadsheet (or paper and calculator, abacus or
fingers[1])

Don't forget that the calculations for ground floors taking account of
perimeter use a table of fiddled U values, so a spreadsheet would need
some work unless there is a formula that can be used instead.

Tony, do you know?

[1] toes may also be required for some values

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tony Bryer

In article , Andy
Hall wrote:
Don't forget that the calculations for ground floors taking
account of perimeter use a table of fiddled U values, so a
spreadsheet would need some work unless there is a formula that
can be used instead.

Tony, do you know?

In the current release of SuperHeat we have hard coded in the
Appendix C tables and just interpolate. Previously we used the
formula from BRE Information Paper 3/90:

U (uninsulated) = 0.05 + 1.65PA - 0.6PA^2

where PA = exposed perimeter/area

For a 5m x 10m floor four edges exposed PA = 30/50 = 0.6

Uninsulated U-value = 0.824 (current AD App.C gives 0.78)

To get the U-value of an insulated floor (insulation under/over
whole of slab including perimeter) you take the reciprocal of
this value to get the thermal resistance, then add the resistance
of the insulation, then take the reciprocal again to get a new
U-value.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm