Harry

Default painting a manhole cover?

hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

thanks,

harry.

nightjar

"Harry" wrote in message
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front
lawn. not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co
or whoever it belongs to?

When did anyone last stop in to check whether you had painted it?

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

"Harry" wrote in message
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front
lawn. not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co
or whoever it belongs to?

When did anyone last stop in to check whether you had painted it?

sucks through teeth They will now, the cat's out of the bag!

Mary

Colin Bignell

The Natural Philosopher

Harry wrote:

hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

thanks,

harry.

Stick a big terracotta pot full of flowers on top of it.

Owain

Harry wrote:
we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight
is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

I noticed today that B&Q have Womble gnomes. Do not put the Womble
gnomes on top of the personhole cover; this will only draw attention to
it and everybody will know that you have a personnel access point in
your lawn. Instead, put the Wombles peeing seductively through the
shrubbery. People will be distracted by this and will not notice that
you have a sewer inspection and rodding amenity in the middle of your
greensward.

Owain

Owain

Owain wrote:
.. Instead, put the Wombles peeing seductively through the
shrubbery.

s/peeing/peeping

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Harry wrote:
we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front
lawn. not a pretty sight
is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co
or whoever it belongs to?

I noticed today that B&Q have Womble gnomes. Do not put the Womble gnomes
on top of the personhole cover; this will only draw attention to it and
everybody will know that you have a personnel access point in your lawn.
Instead, put the Wombles peeing seductively through the shrubbery. People
will be distracted by this and will not notice that you have a sewer
inspection and rodding amenity in the middle of your greensward.

A rodding amenity???

Mary

Owain

tony green

"Harry" wrote in message
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front

lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co

or
whoever it belongs to?

thanks,

harry.

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view as
angered many house owner.
Cant understand why by now someone hasn't come up with making them in
various coloured tops.

Mary Fisher

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Mary

Harvey Van Sickle

On 11 Mar 2005, Mary Fisher wrote
"Owain" wrote in message

Instead, put the Wombles peeing seductively through the
shrubbery. People will be distracted by this and will not notice
that you have a sewer inspection and rodding amenity in the
middle of your greensward.

A rodding amenity???

If covered with turf, it'd be a sodding amenity...

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Mary Fisher

Instead, put the Wombles peeing seductively through the
shrubbery. People will be distracted by this and will not notice
that you have a sewer inspection and rodding amenity in the
middle of your greensward.

A rodding amenity???

If covered with turf, it'd be a sodding amenity...

Variety is the spice of life ...

Mary

--
Cheers,
Harvey

doozer

Harry wrote:
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

thanks,

harry.

Do you really think that the couple of guys that are climbing down the
hold to probably get covered in the worst the world has to offer are
going to mind that the cover is green? It will probably be the nicest
thing they see all day.
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

A rodding amenity???

Otherwise known as an 'Essex girl'

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I alone?

That's between you, Jesus, and your pet dog. Or possibly your cigar.

Mary

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Harry wrote:
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

My parents have a similar cover right in the centre of their back garden.
as a kid I used to use it as a ramp for wheeliying asorterd vheicles
over. It has however for the last 30 years been a delightfull flower bed
with a stone birdbath on top. Still accessible should the need ever
arise, but as it's never been opened in 50 years I doubt there will ever
be a need for access.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
rrh

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Mary

You're not. Cue chorus of "they don't teach 'em like they used to, harumph
harumph" from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Mary Fisher

k...

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Mary

You're not. Cue chorus of "they don't teach 'em like they used to, harumph
harumph" from Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Well at least one person understood :-)

Mary

raden

In message , Harry
writes
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co or
whoever it belongs to?

Why not put a large flower pot or bird bath on top of it?

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Dunno, what does the Oujia board say ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I alone?

That's between you, Jesus, and your pet dog. Or possibly your cigar.

Her name's Mary, not Monica

--
geoff
raden

In message , doozer
writes
Harry wrote:
hello,
we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the
front lawn. not a pretty sight
is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the
water co or whoever it belongs to?
thanks,
harry.

Do you really think that the couple of guys that are climbing down the
hold to probably get covered in the worst the world has to offer are
going to mind that the cover is green? It will probably be the nicest
thing they see all day.

I've heard that it's a profitable little sideline for the part P Nazis

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Dunno, what does the Oujia board say ?

There were two knocks ...

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Mary Fisher wrote:

Am I alone?

That's between you, Jesus, and your pet dog. Or possibly your cigar.

Her name's Mary, not Monica

And I'm not a dog lover, certainly don't have one, never have and hope that
happy state continues :-)

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Harry
writes
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front
lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co
or
whoever it belongs to?

Why not put a large flower pot or bird bath on top of it?

I'd paint it Dayglo pink, myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Mary

--
geoff

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I'd paint it Dayglo pink, myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Yeah, show off to the neighbours "sucks ya boo, we've got an indoor bog"

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
t...
Mary Fisher wrote:
I'd paint it Dayglo pink, myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Yeah, show off to the neighbours "sucks ya boo, we've got an indoor bog"

Well our neighbourhood is so posh that everyone in our street has
indoorfacilities so nyer nyer!

I think we're the only ones who are considering having a long drop in the
garden ... :-)

Mary

Owain

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I think we're the only ones who are considering having a long drop in the
garden ... :-)

If tha teks lid off t' man'ole tha can 'ave thysen a long drop wi'aht
all t' effort of diggin' t' hole.

Owain

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Dunno, what does the Oujia board say ?

There were two knocks ...

Your knees?

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"tony green" wrote in message

These man hole business of having one in the most annoying see able
view
as
angered many house owner.

Am I alone?

Dunno, what does the Oujia board say ?

There were two knocks ...

Your knees?

I swear I didn't move. It was the spirits.

More gin anyone?

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I think we're the only ones who are considering having a long drop in the
garden ... :-)

If tha teks lid off t' man'ole tha can 'ave thysen a long drop wi'aht all
t' effort of diggin' t' hole.

t'manoil's in t'next gardin.

Anyway, aren't you supposed call them raised ironworks now?

Mary
going to bed so you can all make puerile jokes

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Owain" wrote in message
et...
Mary Fisher wrote:
I'd paint it Dayglo pink, myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Yeah, show off to the neighbours "sucks ya boo, we've got an indoor bog"

Well our neighbourhood is so posh that everyone in our street has
indoorfacilities so nyer nyer!

I think we're the only ones who are considering having a long drop in the
garden ... :-)

A DIY gibbet, now that's not something you come across every day
--
geoff
David W.E. Roberts

"Harry" wrote in message
hello,

we've got a large rectangular manhole cover in the middle of the front

lawn.
not a pretty sight

is it ok to paint it green? or should i ask permission from the water co

or
whoever it belongs to?

AFAIK it will belong to you - sewerage on a private property is usually the
responsibility of the house owner and only becomes the responsibility of the
water board (or whatever) once it gets to the main sewer.

Where soil drainage from other properties pases over you land I think the
pipework etc. is still owned by you and they have right of passage or
whatever :-)

So unless the main sewer is routed over your land (which could happen) then
I think it is yours to do with as you will.

HTH
Dave R

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Owain" wrote in message
. net...
Mary Fisher wrote:
I'd paint it Dayglo pink, myself. If you've got it, flaunt it!

Yeah, show off to the neighbours "sucks ya boo, we've got an indoor bog"

Well our neighbourhood is so posh that everyone in our street has
indoorfacilities so nyer nyer!

I think we're the only ones who are considering having a long drop in the
garden ... :-)

A DIY gibbet, now that's not something you come across every day

Indeed. But just the sight of it could be a deterrent to intruders :-)

Mary
--
geoff

Nick Atty

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:33:20 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Owain" wrote in message
. net...

http://www.mrlendez.com/x/st.html (to pick one of many links at random).
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)