wb

Default Washing Machine trips RCB on fast spin

On reaching the fastest point of the final spin this Creda (which is 2
-3 years old) trips the RCD - but not every time.
Any ideas?

Regards,

Brian
Mike Harrison

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:03:26 +0000, wb wrote:

On reaching the fastest point of the final spin this Creda (which is 2
-3 years old) trips the RCD - but not every time.
Any ideas?

Regards,

Brian

Could be an insulation fault - only full power leaking enough to trip.
Maybe the high speed is flinging water somewhere it doesn't normally get to. This might explain the
'sometimes'. I'd take the lid/back off after it trips and look for water where it shouldn't be.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Mike Harrison writes:

Could be an insulation fault - only full power leaking enough to trip.

Top speed on mine uses a different connector on the motor
and different drive triac on the control board.

Maybe the high speed is flinging water somewhere it doesn't normally get to. This might explain the
'sometimes'. I'd take the lid/back off after it trips and look for water where it shouldn't be.

Cable vibration against metalwork which has worn through the
insulation is another possibility. Check the cable loom,
particularly the parts which flex when the drum vibrates.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Simon Stroud

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:03:26 +0000, wb wrote:

On reaching the fastest point of the final spin this Creda (which is 2
-3 years old) trips the RCD - but not every time.
Any ideas?

Regards,

Brian

Could be an insulation fault - only full power leaking enough to trip.
Maybe the high speed is flinging water somewhere it doesn't normally get

to. This might explain the
'sometimes'. I'd take the lid/back off after it trips and look for water

where it shouldn't be.

I just finally got round to fixing our Zanussi washer dryer that had been
doing this for a LONG time.

I'd certainly agree with the "flinging water" theory.

My machine has a 2-part plastic tub (the bit that the drum sits inside of)
and this is joined all the way round with lots of screws and a big foamy
rubber seal. There was a slight leak at this join that was spraying water a
bit at high speed, especially with bigger loads when it vibrated more. Seems
it was getting in the motor or similar and tripping the RCD.

I had to take the machine almost completely to pieces to get the tub out,
split it and replace the seal. Took most of a day to do but at least gave a
bit of satisfaction for a repair that wouldn't have been economic for a
"professional" to do.

Good luck!

Regards,
Simon.

Senior Member

Carbon dust from the brushes shorting some current to ground through the motor casing. New motor or a good internal clean required.

wb

Plenty to be going on with there.
Many thanks to all who replied.