Homer2911

Default OT - converting vinyl to CD

Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

[news]

Homer2911 wrote:
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

Steinberg / Pinnacle Clean

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPa...59&Langue_ID=7

RT

brugnospamsia

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

The main problem you're likely to have is unless you buy a seperate
soundcard, you rarely get sound recording software - this ranges from
minimal recorders for a tenner up to the very wonderful CoolEdit - which has
now been bought by Adobe so is 200 quid a shot and no doubt has aquired a
ludicrous start up sequence.
I see that Goldwave is 45 dollars US and has filtering.

Adrian C

Homer2911 wrote:
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

The 'experts' have written plenty of websites about this.
Do a google for "vinyl cd recording"

--

Adrian C
Lobster

Homer2911 wrote:
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

There's some software out there called 'Steinberg Clean' which is
supposed to do this quite well, although I have no personal experience of it

David

fred

In article . com,
Homer2911 writes
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

I did think waaaaaaaaaaaaay OT but you are doing it yourself after all ;-).

Try audacity or Exact Audio Copy (EAC) from:
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/med.htm both mention a record from
LP option. If these don't meet your needs then have a google on or ask on
alt.comp.freeware , def a FAQ there.
--
fred
Steve P

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

Free software available at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Homer2911

Thank you all for a)not laughing and b) for your very constructive
replies!

John Rumm

Homer2911 wrote:

Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

Dart pro is another bit of (pricey) commercial software to look out for.
Some of the better Creative Labs Audigy cards also come with a
reasonably decent facility to remove surface noise as a DPS trick in
real time.

Remember also that unless you have a record deck with a line level
output, then you will need a vinyl preamp of some sort before the sound
card (to remove the RIAA pre-emphasis, otherwise you will get nasty
tinny sounding audio grabs)

--
Cheers,

John.

Newshound

I've found the Magix Audio Lab software fine

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Homer2911 wrote:
I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

As regards hardware, you'll need a soundcard on the PC with a line in. And
a record output from your amp - which obviously must play LPs correctly.
You might also have to remove the earth connection from the amp to avoid
hum, or use an inline transformer for the audio.

The software with your CD burner should allow the basic transfer. But IIRC
there is free software which will automatically log track start and stops.

Sorry not to give chapter and verse - I don't use a PC.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Michael Chare

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Homer2911 wrote:

Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

Dart pro is another bit of (pricey) commercial software to look out for.
Some of the better Creative Labs Audigy cards also come with a
reasonably decent facility to remove surface noise as a DPS trick in
real time.

Remember also that unless you have a record deck with a line level
output, then you will need a vinyl preamp of some sort before the sound
card (to remove the RIAA pre-emphasis, otherwise you will get nasty
tinny sounding audio grabs)

Nero may do what you want. You can download a full working evaluation copy FOC.

See http://www.nero.com/en/Nero_SoundTrax.html

--

Michael Chare

John Miller

"Steve P" wrote in message

"Homer2911" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't laugh - I recently joined a choir, and I am desperately trying to
play catch-up with the repertoire.

I have a number of old vinyl LP's that would help, but it would be a
lot more convenient to get them onto the PC and catalogue each track
for future reference - any experts out there?

Free software available at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I've used Audacity very successfully to do this very job. Got most of my
information from a very useful website http://www.br0wn.co.uk/vinyltocd.htm
which tells you just what you need and suggests sources of software. He'll
also do the job for you if you pay him enough! More recently, I've used one
of the options in the full version of NERO (Soundtrax, I think it's called).

John Miller

John Rumm

Mark wrote:

Cool Edit 98 is still available free-ish from
http://www.threechords.com/hammerhea..._edit_96.shtml
don't know (or care) if this would work with Win XP ;-(

It does...

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , Michael Chare
writes
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Homer2911 wrote:

[...]

I would have to advise against typing "nero crack" into google, as it's
a very naughty thing to do
--
geoff