Howard

Default Forget the oxy-propane

A better option has reared its head.

Natural gas and oxygen.

Now, your thoughts please, and right on one side of the paper only.

Include references to things like pressure and non-return valves.

Maybe some tips on using this combination too would be most helpful.

--
Howard
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Howard
wrote:

Natural gas and oxygen.

Not a hope. High pressure oxygen and high pressure acetylene I'm
allowed to play with myself. Natural gas though must surely be
_incredibly_ dangerous, because I have to get a registered CORGI
fitter in to deal with it.

I'll stick with my nice and easily worked-on acetylene or propane,
thanks very much,

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rob Morley wrote:
Natural gas and oxygen.

Not a hope. High pressure oxygen and high pressure acetylene I'm
allowed to play with myself. Natural gas though must surely be
_incredibly_ dangerous, because I have to get a registered CORGI
fitter in to deal with it.

Why do you think he's talking about mains NG? I'm not sure a
domestic supply would have sufficient pressure anyway.

We used to have a 'forge' at school - and the torch with that used town
gas and air from a blower. Don't think it got hot enough to melt steel,
though.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Rob Morley
wrote:

Why do you think he's talking about mains NG?

How else do you get natural gas ? Big cryogenic tank at the bottom of
the garden ?

Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

We used to have a 'forge' at school - and the torch with that used town
gas and air from a blower.

Ditto, ditto. The air supply for the brazing hearth was originally a
foot-operated leather bellows, only upgraded to an electric blower in
about 1966.

Don't think it got hot enough to melt steel,
though.

The forge would though (memories of negligent 3rd-formers who turned
their centre punches into sparklers...).

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
We used to have a 'forge' at school - and the torch with that used town
gas and air from a blower.

Ditto, ditto. The air supply for the brazing hearth

Ah - couldn't remember the correct name.

was originally a foot-operated leather bellows, only upgraded to an
electric blower in about 1966.

Obviously my school was ahead of the times. :-)

Don't think it got hot enough to melt steel, though.

The forge would though (memories of negligent 3rd-formers who turned
their centre punches into sparklers...).

Now there's a point. Who's still got any tools they made at school? I've
got a rather nice hacksaw - all polished steel and aluminium - that I was
too proud of to use. And a cold chisel.

The small vice I made my brother still uses.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rod Hewitt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

Now there's a point. Who's still got any tools they made at school?
I've got a rather nice hacksaw - all polished steel and aluminium -
that I was too proud of to use. And a cold chisel.

Still go a small brass dovetail marking gauge. Old 'Mr Smith' (really)
couldn't believe that it was actually quite accurate. The only thing I ever
made at school that was.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Rob Morley
wrote:

In a bottle just like propane? How is it stored for use in vehicles?

Apart from a few buses, it isn't. Natural gas is a bit of an awkward
thing to store.

If you compress propane at room temperature it will liquefy. Natural
gas won't, unless you also cool it (down to approximately liquid
nitrogen temperatures). So for vehicle use it's stored as "CNG"
(compressed natural gas). This needs an expensive high-pressure (200
bar) cylinder and it has relatively small capacity, gas being much
less dense than liquids like LPG.

For shipping it around the world, the large tanker ships use cryogenic
storage.

Andy Wade

Rod Hewitt wrote:

Still go a small brass dovetail marking gauge. Old 'Mr Smith' (really)
couldn't believe that it was actually quite accurate. The only thing I ever
made at school that was.

Centre punch, depth gauge, inside callipers, tap wrench, garden rake, oh
and a small bedside book stand in African mahogany.

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
Rod Hewitt wrote:

Still go a small brass dovetail marking gauge. Old 'Mr Smith' (really)
couldn't believe that it was actually quite accurate. The only thing I ever
made at school that was.

Centre punch, depth gauge, inside callipers, tap wrench, garden rake, oh
and a small bedside book stand in African mahogany.

Wot - no pot stand? :-)

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Wade

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wot - no pot stand? :-)

Terribly sorry but, errrrrr, no ;-)

--
Andy
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:
Wot - no pot stand? :-)

Terribly sorry but, errrrrr, no ;-)

Ah. At my school both woodwork and metalwork were compulsory for the first
three years of secondary school. The first thing everyone made in woodwork
was a pot stand. And doting mothers everywhere kept them for ever...

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andy Wade wrote:

Wot - no pot stand? :-)

Terribly sorry but, errrrrr, no ;-)

Ah. At my school both woodwork and metalwork were compulsory for the first
three years of secondary school. The first thing everyone made in woodwork
was a pot stand. And doting mothers everywhere kept them for ever...

We made a garden dibber as the first thing and ended-up learning french
polishing (not of dibbers). I don't think the dibber was ever used (does
anyone use them?) and I haven't used french polishing for 40 years.

--
Dave S
(The return email address is a dummy)