mike ring

Default Stuttering electronic interference

I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think, like
months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

It sounds intentional, but I can't imagine what it could be used for,
perhaps a switching code or something.

???

mike

brugnospamsia

"Dave Jones" wrote in message

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[...]

Da dit dah dit dah dah dit dah ?

(CQ)

Andrew Chesters

mike ring wrote:
I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think, like
months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

It sounds intentional, but I can't imagine what it could be used for,
perhaps a switching code or something.

???

mike

"Sounds" like a mobile handshaking with a node to me...
brugnospamsia

"Andrew Chesters" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped
buzz, with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz,
etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think,
like months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

It sounds intentional, but I can't imagine what it could be used for,
perhaps a switching code or something.

???

mike

"Sounds" like a mobile handshaking with a node to me...

forgot about that

If you listen to interviews on "Today" in the morning you'll hear it all the
time.
(politicians wearing tie-clip mics with mobiles in their pockets)

reminds me to put a warning notice up in the small recording studio I run at
work :-)

I keep meaning to record an example and upload it ...

brugnospamsia

does it sound a bit like this ?

http://www.brugmansia.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/phone.mp3 22kbytes

(ancient Motorola / Orange pay as you go)

------------------------------

. ..

mike ring wrote:
[...]

bof

In message , mike ring
writes

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

If you've got a mobile it's probably just saying hello to the network,
stick it near a computer monitor and you'll probably see bars on the
picture at the same time.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
brugnospamsia wrote:
"Sounds" like a mobile handshaking with a node to me...

forgot about that

If you listen to interviews on "Today" in the morning you'll hear it all
the time. (politicians wearing tie-clip mics with mobiles in their
pockets)

reminds me to put a warning notice up in the small recording studio I
run at work :-)

I have constant problems - I do location TV sound.

You'd think everyone would be aware of it - but no, even experienced
talent arrive on set with their phone on silent. My favourite mic uses an
RF carrier system to amplify the signal from the capsule, so may be more
prone to this than others - although personal mics, which are generally
unbalanced, are even worse. The phone has to be pretty close to the mic to
cause problems - the rest of the chain is fairly immune.

Interesting when you say a re-take is necessary and why. The looks of
guilt from those who have a phone on set. But hopefully, everyone takes
their phone out to look at it at the same time, and by slight of hand,
switches it off. :-)

Incidentally, some networks seem worse than others - although I suppose
it depends on the area and how close the base stations are.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Jeff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote :-

Incidentally, some networks seem worse than others - although I suppose
it depends on the area and how close the base stations are.

Thats probably because of the different frequencies - just noticed my mobile
knocks my mouse out of sync with its charger basestation ( been blaming the
kids for months )

Regards Jeff

bof

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

Incidentally, some networks seem worse than others - although I suppose
it depends on the area and how close the base stations are.

The phones seem to do different handshakes as well, having just changed
to a Sagem after years on Nokias, the new buzz pattern was a little
disconcerting.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Mark Carver

Jeff wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote :-

Incidentally, some networks seem worse than others - although I suppose
it depends on the area and how close the base stations are.

Thats probably because of the different frequencies - just noticed my mobile
knocks my mouse out of sync with its charger basestation ( been blaming the
kids for months )

Voda/O^2 900 MHz [1]

T-Mobile (and virtual networks Virgin and Fresh) and Orange 1800 MHz

[1] Voda and O^2 do additionally use 1800 MHz for 'micro cells'
(shopping centres, inside buildings, etc)

--
Mark
brugnospamsia

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote :-

Incidentally, some networks seem worse than others - although I suppose
it depends on the area and how close the base stations are.

Thats probably because of the different frequencies - just noticed my
mobile
knocks my mouse out of sync with its charger basestation ( been blaming
the
kids for months )

Voda/O^2 900 MHz [1]

T-Mobile (and virtual networks Virgin and Fresh) and Orange 1800 MHz

[1] Voda and O^2 do additionally use 1800 MHz for 'micro cells' (shopping
centres, inside buildings, etc)

I suspect the "carrier" frequencies /per se/ are fairly irrelevant, but I
reckon there will be some one out there who could say which network you were
using - just like those acts who could identify the music by looking at a
vinyl record .....

I worry sometimes about the sheer amount of high frequency radiation about
the place - even my doorbell runs on 1.2GHz

Jeff

brugnospamsia wrote in :-

I worry sometimes about the sheer amount of high frequency radiation about
the place - even my doorbell runs on 1.2GHz

Yes, as anal as it may seem I made a decision a few years ago to swap from
orange to voda for that reason

Regards Jeff

Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
"Sounds" like a mobile handshaking with a node to me...

forgot about that

If you listen to interviews on "Today" in the morning you'll hear it all
the time. (politicians wearing tie-clip mics with mobiles in their
pockets)

reminds me to put a warning notice up in the small recording studio I
run at work :-)

I have constant problems - I do location TV sound.

You'd think everyone would be aware of it - but no, even experienced
talent arrive on set with their phone on silent. My favourite mic uses an
RF carrier system to amplify the signal from the capsule, so may be more
prone to this than others - although personal mics, which are generally
unbalanced, are even worse. The phone has to be pretty close to the mic to
cause problems - the rest of the chain is fairly immune.

Apart from electrets and radio mics, I would have thought it was the actual
mic amp that was most likely to cause the problem by rectifying the r.f.
Some equipment does offer front end filtering to reduce this though not
always totally effectively. Always good to walk round PLASA with a phone
hidden in your hand.

Mike

"Jeff" wrote in message

brugnospamsia wrote in :-

I worry sometimes about the sheer amount of high frequency radiation

about
the place - even my doorbell runs on 1.2GHz

Yes, as anal as it may seem I made a decision a few years ago to swap from
orange to voda for that reason

Not anal at all. I'm sure Orange always gave me a headache after more than
20 minutes on the phone.

mike ring

"brugnospamsia" wrote in
:

does it sound a bit like this ?

http://www.brugmansia.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/phone.mp3 22kbytes

(ancient Motorola / Orange pay as you go)

"Sounds" like a mobile handshaking with a node to me...

forgot about that

If you listen to interviews on "Today" in the morning you'll hear it
all the time.

I keep meaning to record an example and upload it ...

THAT'S THE BUGGER!!

But my mobile's never switched on! I mean that - it's only for motorbike
emenrgencies, I haven't found another use for it, and touch wood, not done
it's primary function.

I *knew* I'd asked in the right place.

But I've never heard it on my phone on my occasional phones to my answering
machine to keep my account alive.

mike
mike ring

"brugnospamsia" wrote in
:

I worry sometimes about the sheer amount of high frequency radiation
about the place - even my doorbell runs on 1.2GHz

Does your dog answer it?

mike
The Natural Philosopher

mike ring wrote:

I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think, like
months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

It sounds intentional, but I can't imagine what it could be used for,
perhaps a switching code or something.

???

Mobile phone?
Radar station?
Microwave Oven?

mike

Andrew Chesters

mike ring wrote:
THAT'S THE BUGGER!!

But my mobile's never switched on! I mean that - it's only for motorbike
emenrgencies, I haven't found another use for it, and touch wood, not done
it's primary function.

I *knew* I'd asked in the right place.

But I've never heard it on my phone on my occasional phones to my answering
machine to keep my account alive.

mike

What about family or neighbours? Or do you live under a base-station?
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
Apart from electrets and radio mics, I would have thought it was the
actual mic amp that was most likely to cause the problem by rectifying
the r.f.

Well, the area where the mic amp (mixer) is situated is under my control,
so I'd kill anyone who hasn't switched off their phone. Apart from me,
obviously.

Some equipment does offer front end filtering to reduce this
though not always totally effectively. Always good to walk round PLASA
with a phone hidden in your hand.

Don't need to. Motorolla walkie-talkies will zap anything.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mike ring wrote:
I keep meaning to record an example and upload it ...

THAT'S THE BUGGER!!

I'm surprised you haven't heard it in your car - both mine do it while
listening to CDs.

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

Mike wrote:
Apart from electrets and radio mics, I would have thought it was the
actual mic amp that was most likely to cause the problem by rectifying
the r.f.

Well, the area where the mic amp (mixer) is situated is under my control,
so I'd kill anyone who hasn't switched off their phone. Apart from me,
obviously.

Some equipment does offer front end filtering to reduce this
though not always totally effectively. Always good to walk round PLASA
with a phone hidden in your hand.

Don't need to. Motorolla walkie-talkies will zap anything.

Even a Yamaha PM1D ?

Mortimer

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
mike ring wrote:

I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think, like
months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

Could be be something to do with the TETRA radio system I have heard a
bit about. A nationwide communication system for the police and
emergency services which caused a lot of concern because part of the
signal uses modulation at 16 Hertz which is similar to brainwave
frequencies. I f the system is being extended maybe you have a new
mast or transmiiter gone live recently nearby.
It sounds intentional, but I can't imagine what it could be used for,
perhaps a switching code or something.

???

Mobile phone?
Radar station?
Microwave Oven?

mike

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
Don't need to. Motorolla walkie-talkies will zap anything.

Even a Yamaha PM1D ?

I've not tried that, since the only studio I've worked in which had one
didn't have a radio talkback system for sound. They'll happily zap a
colour monitor or portable VTR if close enough, though.

I've also had problems with phone pickup on expensive analogue consoles.
If it's in the operator's pocket. :-)

Only one I know which appears totally immune is the old Calrec/AMS
assignable - but then all the important low level signal paths are usually
in another room.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
bof

In message , mike ring
writes
But my mobile's never switched on! I mean that - it's only for motorbike
emenrgencies, I haven't found another use for it, and touch wood, not done
it's primary function.

I can tell when the neighbours are out in the garden making secret phone
call on their mobiles, as their hiding place is just the other side of
the wall from the kids PC speakers.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

tony sayer

In article , Mortimer
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote in message
k.clara.net...
mike ring wrote:

I was just reading a Dect thread and it prompted me to ask if anyone can
explain this.

Occasionally I get a strange stuttering interference, like a chopped buzz,
with uneven mark/space ratios, like bzzz......bzz..bzz.....bzzzz, etc etc.

This appears to come in on everything, radio, telly, computer speakers,
possibly the phones, but no-one ever calls...

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do any harm that I can tell, and is fairly recent, I think, like
months, not years.

I'm in mid Essex, a bit outside the M25.

Could be be something to do with the TETRA radio system I have heard a
bit about. A nationwide communication system for the police and
emergency services which caused a lot of concern because part of the
signal uses modulation at 16 Hertz which is similar to brainwave
frequencies.

Yes some female bobbies from the greater Manchester police claimed that
the TETRA radios made them preggers;!..

I f the system is being extended maybe you have a new
mast or transmiiter gone live recently nearby.

To get that to happen the mast would have to be very close, almost next
door, and I suspect that the TV interference that TETRA can cause will
be far more of a problem.

You haven't had one put up on a roof nearby that you don't yet know
about?...

--
Tony Sayer

Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I've also had problems with phone pickup on expensive analogue consoles.
If it's in the operator's pocket. :-)

Only one I know which appears totally immune is the old Calrec/AMS
assignable - but then all the important low level signal paths are usually
in another room.

I was about to suggest AMS. I know they used to pay attention to this
'feature' more than most.

Most innovative approach I saw was on a Midas which provided a *really*
tempting and convenient place to put your phone down far away from the mic
amps.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
Only one I know which appears totally immune is the old Calrec/AMS
assignable - but then all the important low level signal paths are
usually in another room.

I was about to suggest AMS. I know they used to pay attention to this
'feature' more than most.

They - or the original Calrec - were certainly built well. Their first
assignable is still in use in Studio 2 at Teddington Studios. And must be
20 years old. I can remember some BBC Neves being scrap after 5 years.

Most innovative approach I saw was on a Midas which provided a *really*
tempting and convenient place to put your phone down far away from the
mic amps.

Heh heh - a good idea. It would be *very* costly to screen or filter a
desk against high level RF.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
Mike wrote:
Only one I know which appears totally immune is the old Calrec/AMS
assignable - but then all the important low level signal paths are
usually in another room.

I was about to suggest AMS. I know they used to pay attention to this
'feature' more than most.

They - or the original Calrec - were certainly built well. Their first
assignable is still in use in Studio 2 at Teddington Studios. And must be
20 years old. I can remember some BBC Neves being scrap after 5 years.

Most innovative approach I saw was on a Midas which provided a *really*
tempting and convenient place to put your phone down far away from the
mic amps.

Heh heh - a good idea. It would be *very* costly to screen or filter a
desk against high level RF.

Its not particularly screening thats the problem, its more semiconductor
junction demodulation. Some designers had this in mind more than
others

Still wasn't thought about in those old days!....

--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

[...]

was too.
used to put a base emitter cap on the input transistor, and a few ohms
in series.

tony sayer

In article , The
Natural Philosopher writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

Not when I worked at Neve and Audix
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Heh heh - a good idea. It would be *very* costly to screen or filter a
desk against high level RF.

Its not particularly screening thats the problem, its more semiconductor
junction demodulation. Some designers had this in mind more than
others

Problem is that most these days use the same ICs...

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mike ring

But I've never heard it on my phone on my occasional phones to my
answering machine to keep my account alive.

mike

What about family or neighbours? Or do you live under a base-station?

Well, you've got me there. No mobiles close either side, say 50 yards.

But at least now I know what it is I can try to work it out.

Of course there's a busy road in the front with lots of school run 4WDs,
cruisers, builders, Essex girls all phoning while driving like crazy,
sorry, phoning like crazy while driving.

mike
Mike

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Its not particularly screening thats the problem, its more

semiconductor
junction demodulation. Some designers had this in mind more than
others

Still wasn't thought about in those old days!....

was too.
used to put a base emitter cap on the input transistor, and a few ohms
in series.

Not when I worked at Neve and Audix

AFAIR Rupert Neve's mic amp has serial resistors on the two input transistor
bases. He also tends to use NPNs rather than the ubiquitous PNP 737 which I
was told was were less prone to rectifying r.f. interference.

The Natural Philosopher

Mike wrote:

[...]

Mm. They never offered me enough at the interviews Tony, so I left the
business.

Their loss it seems.

tony sayer

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

LOL!,

This was a long time ago now. I left Neve after falling fowl of the
"prayer meetings after work" policy that went on there;!. Course they
wouldn't get away with that sort of caper nowadays..

Or would they in this PC world?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Mike

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Not when I worked at Neve and Audix

Mm. They never offered me enough at the interviews Tony, so I left the
business.

Their loss it seems.

LOL!,

This was a long time ago now. I left Neve after falling fowl of the
"prayer meetings after work" policy that went on there;!. Course they
wouldn't get away with that sort of caper nowadays..

Was that when they were at Melbourne (Cambs, not Aus) ?
I think nowadays it's more "work after work" as the business is so
cut-throat.

Mike

tony sayer wrote:
Not when I worked at Neve and Audix

Mm. They never offered me enough at the interviews Tony, so I left the
business.

Their loss it seems.

Perhaps we should all set up a new audio company to show how it should be
done :-)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
Not when I worked at Neve and Audix

Mm. They never offered me enough at the interviews Tony, so I left the
business.

Their loss it seems.

Perhaps we should all set up a new audio company to show how it should be
done :-)

Rupert - or his minions - certainly produced some fine sounding gear. His
EQ - and compressor/limiters - haven't IMHO been surpassed yet. Although
I've got a couple of really ancient Pye compressors that are even sweeter.
I'd love to get hold of a working BBC Lim2 - designed before WW2 - and
perhaps the nicest limiter ever, but memories tend to be short, audio
wise. One case where valves do rule?

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
The Natural Philosopher

tony sayer wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

Christ! You are right....Never did figure out how putting your hand in
the back of the TV to 'feel the power of Jesus' would result in better
equipment...

Moind you, at leats you never worked for the ginger pig. Psomiscuous sex
mandatoty in every nook and cranny, and good design frowned on. Only
bull**** and semen seemed to count.