GymRatZ

Default CH presure testing

I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the UFH
laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

TIA
PEte
John Stumbles

GymRatZ wrote:
I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the UFH
laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

Pressure it up with a hand/foot/electric tyre pump (and appropriate
valves & gauge).

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

John Stumbles wrote:
GymRatZ wrote:

I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the
UFH laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

Pressure it up with a hand/foot/electric tyre pump (and appropriate
valves & gauge).

Just found a screw-fix one with schrader valve and quick connection that
will do the job for a pony.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Lobster wrote:

How about:

That's the one I found.
:¬)

Cheerrs
Pete

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

John Stumbles

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

GymRatZ wrote:

I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the
UFH laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

Pressure it up with a hand/foot/electric tyre pump (and appropriate
valves & gauge).

Just found a screw-fix one with schrader valve and quick connection that
will do the job for a pony.

A lot cheaper at BES - you'll need a 1/4" BSP Female to something like
1/2" BSP connector to get it to something useful.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
GymRatZ wrote:
I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the UFH
laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

Assuming copper tube, practise making some capillary solder joints. Done
properly, these never, ever, leak.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
GymRatZ

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Assuming copper tube, practise making some capillary solder joints. Done
properly, these never, ever, leak.

I disagree.

I have re-plumbed several entire C/H systems and done 10's of 100's of
capilliary joints in copper stuff, yet am still suprised at the joints
that look bang on perfect that "WEEP" whereas dodgy "over-heated" joints
(water in pipe etc) that I felt would almost certainly leak have been fine.

So, as connecting F+R pipes to current C/H are 2nd on the list to
getting a workable floor down (so Kitchen can be fitted and house
re-inhabited) which obscures CH joints i.e. the run in question goes
under UFH insulation and no heating planned on connection for a fair
while, I would rather test joints before going live as once UFH is TS
(Thin Screed(ed)) I'm up the proverbial creek... then again, I have
indeed used a "leak remedy" additive to sort out those PITA joints, as
indeed that sicky icky Fernox "stuff in a tube" which has got me out of
1 impossible situation.

Also.... having dismantled some "profesionally made" copper joints, it's
quite scary to see how little amount of pipe/fitting is actually water
tight. i.e. oxidation hidden within joint making for large areas of
"non-contact" between pipe and fiting.

Appologies for waffling, it's the demolition of 1 bottle of fine red
wine to myself that has perked up the babble centre of my frontal lobe.

:¬)

Cheers.
Pete (on the kitchen P.C.)
GymRatZ

John Stumbles wrote:

A lot cheaper at BES - you'll need a 1/4" BSP Female to something like
1/2" BSP connector to get it to something useful.

Just going to check it out now John. Thanks
Current run to be tested is plain 15 mm to push-fit blanking plugs.

Looking to convert (temporarily) from 28mm to 15 mm for dry testing
entire UFH circuits from the boiler side of manifold - also for
presurising UFH whils laying thin-screed and laying chip-board decking.

Cheers
Pete
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
GymRatZ wrote:
Assuming copper tube, practise making some capillary solder joints.
Done properly, these never, ever, leak.

I disagree.

I have re-plumbed several entire C/H systems and done 10's of 100's of
capilliary joints in copper stuff, yet am still suprised at the joints
that look bang on perfect that "WEEP" whereas dodgy "over-heated" joints
(water in pipe etc) that I felt would almost certainly leak have been
fine.

I suppose I could claim about the same sort of numbers. And the only leak
I've ever had in a capillary fitting - and I use end feed, not Yorkshire -
was caused by a pin hole in it. Although for straight coupling I have a
pipe swager which I'd use in later to be inaccessible places

So, as connecting F+R pipes to current C/H are 2nd on the list to
getting a workable floor down (so Kitchen can be fitted and house
re-inhabited) which obscures CH joints i.e. the run in question goes
under UFH insulation and no heating planned on connection for a fair
while, I would rather test joints before going live as once UFH is TS
(Thin Screed(ed)) I'm up the proverbial creek... then again, I have
indeed used a "leak remedy" additive to sort out those PITA joints, as
indeed that sicky icky Fernox "stuff in a tube" which has got me out of
1 impossible situation.

Also.... having dismantled some "profesionally made" copper joints, it's
quite scary to see how little amount of pipe/fitting is actually water
tight. i.e. oxidation hidden within joint making for large areas of
"non-contact" between pipe and fiting.

I did say well made joints, and this takes practice. And included in that
practice should be dismantling them to make sure all surfaces were
properly tinned. If they aren't, it means dirt, not properly fluxed, not
enough heat or not enough solder.

Appologies for waffling, it's the demolition of 1 bottle of fine red
wine to myself that has perked up the babble centre of my frontal lobe.

S'ok. The thing I'd be worried about is compression fittings can test out
ok, but start leaking at a later date.

:¬)

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
GymRatZ wrote:

I have 2 shortish 15mm c/h feeds to the garage from boiler area, but
they will be running under 45mm cellotex under UFH.
Is there a cost effective method/device suitable for dry pressure
testing each run prior to C/H conection so I can get on and get the UFH
laid without concerns over leaks when finally connected?

Assuming copper tube, practise making some capillary solder joints. Done
properly, these never, ever, leak.

But its so easy to NOT do properly.

The way I test em is thumb over the end and suck. If te presure don't
hold, redo em.

The UFH MUST be pressure tested wet.

Befoire you screed, and hold teh pressure WHILE you screed.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Assuming copper tube, practise making some capillary solder joints.
Done properly, these never, ever, leak.

But its so easy to NOT do properly.

As is a compression fitting. Or even, in IMM's case, a push fit one.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

CNC machine insulation testing with a megger Mike Metalworking 2 January 29th 05 03:28 AM
PAT Testing costs Andy Dingley UK diy 14 November 25th 04 10:53 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM
Testing a Dual Output DC-DC Converter? Eric J Electronics Repair 6 October 1st 03 12:54 AM
Well Water Testing easysky Home Ownership 2 August 13th 03 05:00 AM